Is my Bubble Tip spawning

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Helga, 31 May 2011.

1. Helga

Helga

Hi There,

I am totally panicked. I have had my Bubble Tip in the tank for 7 months now and it has been growing and growing. Its up to a dinnerplate size now. I have two Maroon clowns living in it that are extremely happy. They spawn every month. The Bubble tip has stayed put since day one so I have been very chuffed.

I feed the BT lance fish every 3rd day. It eagerly takes the fish from the feeding tong.

I have now noticed the BT has deflated somewhat and it is oozing a cloudy white substance from its mouth. The mouth is somewhat extended.

What to do. Have read on internet that it is spawning. Is this harmfull to my reef. Should I remove the Nennie. Is this normal behaviour.

Please help me

Helga

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lycan

Lycan

Hi Helga
    do you have Pic?

It might just be taking a dump... remember it only has one orifice for eating and.... well taking a dump :) in that case it should be fine.

4. crispin

crispin

hi helga, welcome to masa i dont think ive welcomed you before:)

it sounds like things are doing really well in that tank, if the nennie is feeding well, growing and staying still and has been doing that for 7 months then it all sounds good to me. A pic would help but if it is sexual reporoduction then the worst that will happen is a increase in the bioload of the tank which you can counter fairly easily.

i dont know anything about your tank at all, specifically what mechanical and what chemical filtration you have. But if you have a decent skimmer set it to skim wet and make sure you clear the cup before it floods, and if you have a carbon reactor id replace the carbon in it now and run it 24/7 for the next week or so at least. You can also do 20% water changes a week apart if you are still worried.

but personally it sounds like things are going well, all be it i am not ecrtaion due to not knowing your system :)

5. toppdogg

toppdogg

:welcome6:
    now where are the pics you drop a bomb on us like that
    and not have any pics to share:whistling:

Last edited: 31 May 2011
  6. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

Unfortunately I did not take pics of the "happening". Was in such a state when I walked past the tank and saw this milky white substance oozing from a very open mouth. No I'm sure, its not a "dump". It oozed this milky substance for about 2 min. Have checked the tank parameters and all is still well. Will check for ammonia tomorrow morning early and do a 20% waterchange. Have researched the internet and it seems it was spawning. Well I did not appreciate this untimely happening.

To get back to my setup. I actually follow MASA on a daily basis. Just not so active with photo uploading etc. I first registered as Dorry. But experienced Yahoo problems and had to re-register. So my current system is a 300l reef tank with a 150l display refugium tied into it. The tank is really doing well. So well that I actually took the big plunge and ordered an Idol Marine tank. Adriaan has started the build. It is a 1.2 X 1.5 X 600 starfire rimless tank. Its a walkaround. Or actually a 3 sided viewing tank. The tank should be up and running in July. Cannot wait. I shall try and upload a few pics of my current system.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

7. Anemone

Anemone

When an anemone spawns all you can do is try to clean up its mess! Do a water change and run some fresh carbon. Keep an eye on waterparameters and watch other livestock for signs of stress....be prepared to do a few water changes in the event things start heading south.

8. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

I checked the water parameters this morning, all is still well. Just to make sure I did a waterchange. Will watch the situation with a hawks eye. The nennie is back to its original state. Happy and eating.

9. Anemone

Anemone

:thumbup:

10. crispin

crispin

great news, now how about a pic of this nennie :)

11. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

My Bubbletip and the Maroon pair.[​IMG]

12. SIMS

SIMS

is it just the pic or re those tips bleached?

13. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

I still dont have my camera skills perfected. The photo is over exposed. Shall try perfecting my photos!:(

14. Anemone

Anemone

Even though over exposed, the anemone looks nice and healthy! :thumbup:

15. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

:bigthumbup:

Thanks!

Recent Posts