Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Slummies, 6 Sep 2009.

1. Slummies

Slummies

hey guys.

i was wondering if its work importing your own liverock and then selling it off to other reefers at a good price.

your LFS may sell it for like R160.. remember they have to cover rental costs, etc.

i read how to cure live rock. and it doesnt look like it will cost to much. so, what do you guys think? worth giving it a try?

leka

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

It requires a whole lot of permits to bring live rock in and remember that the R160 kg rock could be very light rock

4. martinhal

martinhal

I think the major cost is the transport . Give it a go . Personally I would ony do it for myself as I am lazy and cant see myself dealing with having to set up a holding facilty to keep it and then the admin of selling to people and waiting for them to collect. Too much time and effort for me .... where would I get the time to look at my reef .

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

been down that road before, everyone thinks its cheaper its actually more expensive unless you are brining in a substantial amount of other livestock to spread the cost over.. id rather g the route of manufacturing base rock and seeding it with LR to make it live aswell.. this would be the best route..

6. Slummies

Slummies Thread Starter

yeah, you need to bring in a major load rock to make it worth while. got prices..

7. clintonjay

clintonjay

Pity! the idea was good...

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Take into account that the weight of the parcel is the most important factor in the airfreight cost. What it means in reallity is that a little clown in a 5L bag and a BIG clown in a 5L bag airfreight costs are the same. But you can put the small clown in a smaller bag and make it cheaper. Look at Pet Stop, check the price difference between different size cleaner shrimp and you will get the idea. They all come in same size bag. And the medium shrimps are like R10 more than a small one.

Also, included in the price is some "insurance" If you receive a fish and its is dead, you can sent it back to get a refund. Now here is the catch. You have to pay airfreight for the dead fish. And you must sent it back as you received it. In same bag, same water, unopened. So on a single "cheapy" fish this is not really worthwhile and the LFS just carry the lost or spread it to other parts of same shipping. No insurance once you took it out and have it in your holding tanks. If it is dead the next morning, sorry for you... That is why Dorry and Pet Stop have specials on the day of delivery. This risk is then moved to you.

Importing 50kg of dry live rock (now dead rock) is a big volume.

I think it might be worthwhile if you import corals only. Risk should be a lot less than with fish.

9. Slummies

Slummies Thread Starter

yeah.. thanks for the info riaan.

fish is a much greater risk.. esp freshwater. i recently got 20 Discus imported from singapore. space is not a problem to cure liverock.. i might be getting bali liverock at around R120 kg.. Kenyan at R100. i know this is R40-60 cheaper than the lfs. would anyone be interested in this?

where can i get CITES from? permits etc?

10. Slummies

Slummies Thread Starter

iv got a contact for really good quality Kenyan LR. getting 100kg of it and then will sell off what i dont want:)

anyone got any good curing tips?

Recent Posts