Is it worth buying a skimmer for a nano?

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by Matt, 6 Jan 2008.

1. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Just purchased a 24G Nano Cube and i'm wondering if it's worth buying a skimmer for my nano? Are they effective for this size of tank?:)

Thanks
    Matt

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

if you keep up with regular weekly water changes,i dont think its necessary

4. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

They are effective but quite honestly the amount you are going to spend on a decent skimmer not worth it IMO. I would rather do decent water changes with a good quality salt mix.

5. LikesFish

LikesFish

IMO it would do lots of good for your oxygenation and pH levels, but less so for actually skimming anything.

6. palmerc

palmerc

They are nice little tanks aren't they? I think you made a good move.

Did you purchase anything else with it (additional powerhead, substrate, liverock etc.).

You do realise now that you will have to post pics....

Clinton

7. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

If you do want a skimmer i would suggest the ReefTek BH100. Milli sells them. really amazing little skimmers!

8. Matt

Matt Thread Starter MASA Contributor

I am going through tomorrow morning to pick up my purchase, wanted to ask a few questions here first before I just jumped right in ;)
    1.) I've heard some people buy upgrade powerheads, maybe this is necessary?
    2.) Steve said it comes with 5kg crushed coral to use as substrate, still not sure if I want to use this or maybe something a bit finer?
    3.) Comes with 3.5kg LR, i'm gonna buy another 10kg or so ;)

9. palmerc

palmerc

1)I think most people add another small powerhead to these systems just for a little extra circulation, as the std pump does not provide very much. Go for one of the small SEIO's (eg. M620), I am sure Exotics stocks these.

2) This is fine. Just ensure the grain size is small enough, around 1mm. This is just for aesthetics but you don't want large grains in which detritus can settle.

3) 10 kg will be cool. Also see if they willing to part with some live rock rubble while you are there which you can add to your filter compartments.

I would also suggest you look and see how others set-up the filtration compartments on these systems. I am sure they remove most of the media and just use live rock rubble but not sure on this. But the way they are supplied as std. will nto be a problem either for now, just may need a little more maintenance.

10. mandarinman

mandarinman

skimmer

imo a skimmer helps control the quality of your water. it is like a sentinel. it cleans up impurities before you realise it.. it is amazing how it helps keep water clear

11. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

IMO, the problem is where do you put it? It will look a bit unsightly standing next to the cube. If you are getting the cabinet as well, the plumbing might be a bit tricky.

As said above, regular water changes with a good salt will be sufficient, once again IMO.

If you do want to run a skimmer, I recommend the TS1. But you'll need a sump for that guy.

Good luck and remember the pics ;)

12. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

You can get by without a skimmer, as long as you don't overstock, do get a powerhead to give you decent surface aggitation, and do your regular weekly water changes.
    The problem with the nano tanks is there is no room for error, they are fine with regular water changes, but if something small goes wrong, it can affect the tank quite quickly. If you have a fish die in a 1000lt system, bit sad - no problem leave it for the clean up crew - the ammonia spike will not even register, in a nano, the affect could be a wipe out, unless your husbandry is good, which means you cannot afford to miss even one water change or over stock, they are a challenge but well worth the effort.

13. mandarinman

mandarinman

if you have the cash, buy the skimmer, it enables you to carry a higher bio load(more of the good stuff)

Recent Posts