Is it true

ive also heared from someone that its illegal,but i dont think it can be.we are hugging the tree by fragging

It may depend on which type of corals, Antony Calfo was cutting corals to bits at IMASCA and a similar exhibition in Holland last year - i can't imagine he was breaking any laws, see if you can do anu reaserch from where you heard this - it may have serious repercussions to our hobby if it is true.

Fragging your own corals Illegal ? Knowing SA gov. it would not surprise me. I think by home fragging we are putting less strain on the environment.

I think there is some sort of legislation on this with regards to fragging your own corals and selling them, or selling aquacultured corals. Not 100% sure though.

there is supposed to be a paper trail from what i remember from working at the petshop.... if you frag and trade you need to keep records of where the offspring are.... even fish sold should be receited to be able to trace their wherabouts.....

a little childish if you ask me but if you consider the potential outbreak of disease the papertrail could come in handy.... unfortunatley where the gov is concearned its to try screw you for every last rand you have....

my 2 c

Midas, that pretty much answers my question and makes sense, to a certain degree.

PS: My Midas Blenny is my favorite fish at present:lol:

As it stands now yes it is illegal to frag and give/sell corals in SA. One very stupid law that i dont think is policed and if it were i would like to see them put a case forward.

As it stands now yes it is illegal to frag and give/sell corals in SA.

I would love to know the thought behind this.

One very stupid law that i dont think is policed and if it were i would like to see them put a case forward.

They can't even police the laws for cats and dogs, so it would be interesting to this one been done.

Can't police the laws of humans, let alone cats, dogs or other creatures

As it stands now yes it is illegal to frag and give/sell corals in SA. One very stupid law that i dont think is policed and if it were i would like to see them put a case forward.

well we should then say we will begin ripping reefs,if they find it more sensible.dam we got some kak laws

I have to do some research on this but I would suspect that the objective is not to provide some control the commercial side of fragging and distribution of corals but more an ecological control to prevent/manage the possible spread of potentially harmful species that may be spread along with the frags. Not all laws are stupid and if you dig far enough there is usually a rational reason for the enactment of that law. What is problematic, especially here is SA, is the capacity for the enforcement of the laws that we have and the general lack of respect that many (most?) South Africans have for the law IMO.

I am under the impression that the whole control over the fragging issue is to monitor exactly were the frags come from. If you can trace each frag from a 'parent source' then we can all be sure that it is not from a natural reef.

We don't really want to rape the natural reef by some profit seeking individuals who are not capable to propogate their own frags. How easy would it be to collect a large sps specimen from the ocean, cut it up and sell it off piece by piece.

Atleast to an extent the law trys to limit this.

Just my 2c worth...

You seem to agree with the law to some degree. Does that mean we have a forum that promotes crime ?

Back
Top Bottom