Is it possible to keep fish that you have caught along with store bought fish?

Reaction score
I recently read an old book that says it is possible to keep store bought fish along with wild caught fish if the wild caught fish are quarantined properly. It also says that mixing of CERTAIN colder water fish is possible with warmer water fish if the temperature is kept at 22°c. I have kept wild caught fish and i have kept store bought fish but in separate tanks. So i was wondering if this book's information might be outdated considering all the new advancements in technology and how knowledgeable we have become regarding the sea. So if this information is wrong please correct this info in any way possible? Im kinda interested in doing this if it is possible.

The answer is Yes. 99% of store bought fish are wild caught in any case. Just don’t release any local fish back into the ocean once they have come into contact with store bought fish, as they might have gotten a disease from fish that comes from the other side of the world that the local fish population has no immunity to.

22C is a little low for most tropicals, 24C is the lowest you should go on most tropicals. Unless you do some research and see which tropicals occur in temperate waters too and only get those.

And on quarantine, out of experience it is more important to quarantine store bought fish than local fish, they carry a lot more diseases due to being in contact with a lot of fish in small spaces while at the wholesaler. Local fish fresh out of the ocean generally are very healthy from my experience. Still a good idea to quarantine everything though.

Back
Top Bottom