Is it possible to have too much porosity in your rock?

Discussion in 'Urban Marines' started by flappy, 10 Jan 2014.

1. flappy

flappy

Hi Guys

I was wondering if too much porosity is a good thing in your rock...so I posed the question to the gurus at Real Reef Rock.These guys have spent years in R&D developing this rock with the correct color,texture and porosity....here is their response

Real Reef is very porous. You can show the customer this when you pull it from the water, note the amount of water that drains from the rock. My question to the customer is the following: How much porosity do you need for a closed system aquarium? My second question is: Is too much porosity a good or bad thing? I would advocate Real Reef has more porosity that will ever be utilized in a captive marine aquarium. Some might argue the coral skeleton rock offers to much porosity. Beyond the porosity needed for beneficial bacterias and organisms. Remember bacteria colonize to the level of food that is available. All the surface area in the world is only utilized per colony size, which is directly in relation to bio load (food available). Porosity also can be utilized by unwanted marine organisms and algae and a place for detritus and sediment to collect, often sights for algae to grow. Cut open a piece of wild coral rock, then cut open a piece of Real Reef. Which would you rather have in your closed captive Marine system?

Simply, Real Reef works better long term in closed system aquariums than real coral based rock. Hard for most to swallow, but non bias experience with the rock proves this over and over. I hear the success and feedback from the advance aquarist community here in the States consistently. Thousands of aquariums are using real reef and have been over the last 5 years. Over a million pounds have been sold in the US market. It is vetted, proven and works better than wild live rock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I have to agree that a rock that is too porous can be detritus trap and also probably will have less surface area for bacteria to grow

4. cknipe

cknipe

So the question is still - how much is enough? And how much is too much?

Normal Kenian / Fiji, 1KG per 1L is a good figure to go by. What would be a good figure for Real Reef, given that it is so much more porous?

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I think the kg/ltr thing is a bit outdated. How much you really need will ultimately depend on what other filtration you have and what you keeping.

6. flappy

flappy Thread Starter

Agreed. ..1kg per litre sounds high with modern filtration...we work as a general rule of thumb at 10 per cent of Real Reef to total water volume...this can vary based on the aquascape requirement

Recent Posts