Is everybody still feeling fine?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Annoying, 3 Jan 2012.

1. Annoying

Annoying

Hey, I've been on the forum for almost 3 and years now I've loved it, learning new stuff everyday that you couldn't have learned anywhere else. I've seen the forum grow from just a bit over 2000 to 5500+ members. I love to read through almost every thread that is active but nowadays I'm almost to scared to go through it because I may say something wrong. Almost every thread has some kind of an argument in over their and the others opinions of what is right and wrong. Also some members seem to go ranting on another reefer before they even know the full story and without even asking for it. For the past 2 and a half years I've only seen 2 or 3 members with red rep and now whe can almost make a group!! I know whe have grown much and also this will include a lot of new types of people, but can we please try to think before whe tipe. Rather suggest what should be done and start the conversation to get the member on the right track, because all that ranting will do is chase a possible great reefer away and p$ss you off for the day. Maybe I'm just imagining this and would love to here some input from you guys. Especially the mods as they usually have to clean up the messes:tt2:

Keanan and viper357 like this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

I dont feel fine. i feel grumpy but sometimes i dont feel her i let her sleep.

4. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

:lol:

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Weird
    The old song "Don't Worry - Be Happy" is now playing on my PC....
    Fitting.

6. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

It's a sign:eek:, haha songs always seem to come at the right time

7. magman

magman

I think the arguments are fun to read.......if you not involved;)

But seriously, I think a lot of it has to do with cliche's/friendships built up over the years, eg, the soweto reefers have all met each other and chances of them clashing heads are rare, but say a soweto reefer clashes with a googalethu reefer, then the soweto reefers friend might naturally back him up.

Then you may get guys with something that works for them, and they will defend it, eg a dsb works for one person, it might not for another, part of their argument is trying to put their best reefing point across.

There might be a green point of view, where someone throws a fish back in the sea, one person will see it as the sa coast at risk, the other may see it as saving a fish's life by not flushing it,

Meds, some people sware by a med, others disagree,

I think it all boils down to differant points of view all trying to be shared. :1:

Annoying, seank and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Tremayn

Tremayn

I wonder if there are soweto reefers... hmmm :)

9. magman

magman

I didn't want to say CT, Dbn or JHb reefers, in case they take offence, thought if I say Soweto, I wouldn't offend anyone.

10. seank

seank

Good post Magman, and valid points

11. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Totally agree with this but it still doesn't give a reason to go ranting on, rather hold your mouth if you don't have anything good(helpful) to say.

12. seank

seank

So give that man(magman) a Bel.. Me bad... Rep mark, valid points

13. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

I agreed with is post, that is rep marks:)

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

OK.

This is a passionate hobby. If somebody just have the guts to say something wrong or skew or misguided about your system, after all the time and money and effort you spent on it. A lot of guys will feel offended. But if somebody say something that do offend you on your own system, do not take it as an attack. Try to understand why the person took time out of his day to write that snotty comment to you. There might be same real value hidden in there somewhere. If they criticize your filtration system, that might safe you from a system crash.

And some guys do feel very strong about some aspects, just like some guys feel about their F1 team, or the Curry Cup. If somebody criticize Ferrari, you are already in attack mode. So certain members feel extremely strong about others pulling things out of the ocean without knowing what it is. Putting incomparable fishes together. Anemones in systems that is far to young or totally lacking equipment wise.

It is extremely difficult to give positive criticism on a forum, where words loose part of the message, due to language, tone, whatever. Same as trying to have an intimate relationship over Skype or WatchApp, it just need that face to face part, touching, seeing face emotions...

Also, take that person background into account. For example one of our members breeding clowns (sorry that I use you as an example). He is German after all, English is not his first language. So if he use the word "stupid", he is not being arrogant. That is the word in English he knows. If the person is a marine biologist, well surely he knows more than me on certain aspects. Electricians and DB boxes...

If you want to pull out things out the ocean, collecting your own stuff. It is fun, it is nice. YES.
    BUT
    Be prepared. Take to the coast what you need to sustain them. Know what they are. Have an book with you so that you can ID them, a direct match is not needed, as long as you got the family. Family members do act the same after all, except some black sheep in the family.
    If you are not prepared. Do not know what you took out. Take your own consequences.
    Know the rules around collecting. Selling locally caught specimens.

At the end of the day, if you are wrong. Take the heat. Take the criticism. If it was uncalled for, no point in you stooping down as well.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2012
    HenkHugo likes this.
  15. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I like the way you think...:)..I felt like that when I started...I still do, on some Threads, as you just mentioned...for those who don't know, I had a Thread myself that had to be "cleaned up" BIGTIME...:blush: As a Newbie I made Newbie mistakes...and their you go..."innocently making a Post"...but you are "warmly welcomed"..and said to:.."ask away".."here to help"..."steer you in the right direction"....:whistling:...
    Don't get me wrong...this is an "Advice Forum" and a bloody good one IMHO and "advice" is why you join a Forum...everything I know I learned from MASA, but then you get that odd P#*%K who instantly makes you'r blood boil with their "condescending" attitude..

Advise for me...in a nutshell...is a case of "either/or" and not an "opinionated" answer....we are "teachers" on this Forum...if a "student" asks about a Subject does the teacher ridicule the student..?
    To the best of my knowledge I've always answered along those lines as I am now someone that gives advice, but will always consider myself a Newbie...you will find that most of my replies usually contain..."I stand corrected"..."read it somewhere".."maybe you should get a second opinion"..."I'm not sure, but here is a Link"..."hope this helps"...I'm not trying to score "browny points"..I honestly believe I have a way that works for me, but maybe it doesn't work for you....I try to stick to what the Member is asking..I'll give the Info...and then maybe give a Link why it might not work...without the
    There are times on MASA when I wish a lot of the Posts given would be more "advise orientated" than "opinionated"...:(
    Don't get me wrong...no one is perfect, everybody has a "bad day" and on certain days you feel like "hitting the roof" when you get hit by the same question, over and over..including me...and I suppose that is also ok...IF you remember the following...
    IT'S NOT WHAT YOU SAY, BUT HOW YOU SAY IT...!!!

Annoying likes this.
  16. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

my 2c is that comments of what is right and wrong should stay off the persons tank build thread, rather start a new thread and mention that user there so he joins...

as for advice its all based on that persons experience, well it should be, i would hate to get carx advice from someone that doesnt run one or never has, so we all need to read, learn and deduce what info we are going to use and going to ignore, coz i know there are many that dont like the way i do things but it is all based on how i run my tanks or have.

also people that blindly put "theories" through without knowing hows and why's of it should refrain from commenting.... but in a forum with so many people arguments are inevitable...
    then again on the many threads on many forums i seldom see such, maybe i miss them or mods keep those clean but has anyone seen arguments on the more famous build threads even though we can see them doing wrong... like i said above maybe there should be a build only thread....

i have lost the plot.....

17. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Change that to

:lol:, still amazes me the way you always have 4 or 5 links available at almost any subject.

18. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

OH WOW...thats just being a MEANNY..:tt2:..but true...I do want him to TAKE the advice and he'll only do that if he comes to that conclusion himself...

19. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

True, so very very true

20. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

21. seank

seank

Man, I love this thread..... Looooooong posts and interesting reading.
    Annoying, the agree button does not give rep points, the thanks button does

Recent Posts