Is DSB and Refugium same thing?

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Punk, 17 Sep 2007.

1. Punk

Punk

hi guys,

i've read a bit about DSB's & refugiums & it sounds like you can have both in the same compartment? is this possible or would you guys seperate the 2 (if so, why? different flow required or something?)?

i will have 2 compartments in my sumps & was wondering if the one should be a DSB with no macro algae & no lighting & the other a pure refugium with no substrate that has only macro algae & lighting? or should i make both look the same with a DSB with macro algae at the top?

do you guys use the terms DSB/refugium interchangably?

eish, i'm a bit confused!? thanks!
    ant :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Muz

Muz

This is a very broad question so i'm gonna give a very broad answer..Yes this confused me as well when I started up, mainly because guys talk about them as if they are the same thing.. Ideally you really need to look at them with different points of view.

A refugium is a place of shelter or protection, now LR can also be a refugium as can a number of caves within a reef.. but for practical reasons what we are talking about here is a dedicated area ( usually separated off in a sump or hang on ) for the protection and cultivation of plants, fish & crustations.. this can be as simple or as complex as you wish and I can chat for hours on it..

DSB or Deep Sand Bed strategies are too complex for me to go into now but in a nutshell you have a dedicated area where you determine a strategy on what you want to achieve with your DSB, factors such as grain size, depth, flow etc come into play..

Now because they are both areas generally dedicated and away from the tank, your DSB area will become a refugium for a multitude of goggas, herein lies your confusion.

As soon as you add a sandsifting goby for example to the DSB, it is no longer a refugium for the goggas, but a refugium for the goby if he is in there to prevent something eating him .. blah blah

I mainly use my refugium for algae and breeding of live food for the main display, I also use it to aclimitise any newcommer to the tank. My DSB I leave alone if possible and besides housing LR on eggcrate every now and again does not get used for anything else.

Hope this helps

Muz

4. Punk

Punk Thread Starter

wow thanks for the very cool reply!

so would it be ok if a made both compartments in my sump to have a DSB (for nitrate reduction) + have the macro algae (to suppress nuisance algae growth and provide food for display)?

i do have another compartment in my sump if i want to add LR etc. (my sump is about 3m long)...

5. Muz

Muz

LOL.. yeah dude , with a 3m sump you can do whatever you want !! Holy moly, I would love to design a 3m.. you may as well add a frag growing tank to your sump as well while you are at it..

Just remember if you are planning a sump to look at it in the right way, you don't want the skimmer after the DSB or the refugium, you want the goggas to find their way into the tank without being skimmed.

Some guys shudder when you say keep LR in the sump cos you may as well keep it in the main display but you have so much space that i would have a LR section so that you can seed you LR with critters and then place in the display for the fish to snack on. I always have about 6 nice pieces of LR that i rotate from display to sump but this is just a fun thing I do, there is probably very little benefit to doing this, I am just cramped for space and i don't want to loose the LR cos I know i will go bigger eventually.

I take it you have a large tank as well or is the sump just big ? How wide and high ? I hope you have concidered the extra weight of the DSB..

Lots to discuss, good luck !, post a pic if you can so I can see !

Muz

6. ShaneW

ShaneW

Wow..... 3m long, I wish I had a sump that size!!!!!!!!!!!!
    macro algae does not itself provide food for the display, but it could act as a shelter for the critters, I have all sorts of critters living in my chaeto (macro algae), which floats above my DSB.
    Also, dont have a pump, like a return pump, in the refugium as all the critters would get sucked up the pump and the fuge would be pretty pointless. A fuge normally has little to moderate flow to allow the small critters shelter, but the occasional one does slip through the pump to the display, thus providing the fish with a snack!!!

7. Punk

Punk Thread Starter

Recent Posts