Is a protein Skimmer really a necessity?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by carlosdeandrade, 12 Aug 2013.

1. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Recently I have come across some interesting debates with regards to protein skimmers and if they are actually necessary. Not only has @pkc enlightened me with some wonderful insight into the running of his set ups (which look quite exceptional), but on Saturday I met a client that has never run a skimmer in his tank of two years. He also only does partial water changes once a month.
    I personally love protein skimmers and the work they do.
    Any thoughts or personal experiences. Would love to hear them.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i have run tanks with and without them, depending on your form of biological filtration and nutrient export, they may or may not be required.

they do remove more DOC's than actual protein

4. mandarinman

mandarinman

I have run tanks with good and bad skimmers but never without. However if you have another method that achieves the same or better results and is within your financial reach and expertise then i think if it is your inclination give it a try and see how it goes

5. Braco

Braco

Tagging along...since i have started i have had a debate with LFS friends some say run so say don't it's not necessary then there are those who say run it periodically. I have been running them currently monday to friday and switched off over week-ends and so far no loss..but when they run they do run effectively..i do dry skimming and get good results..nice froth..dark liquid into spill over chamber...i think it's good then..:blush:but im here to learn and therefore tagging along

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

I put my skimmer on a timer this afternoon so that i can feed the corals with the skimmer off to allow adsorbsion for an hour and then it will turn on again. If i dose without turning it off all the food is skimmed out within fifteen minutes

7. the fish

the fish

Have heard of people do it without the protien skimmers. Only thing they do is dose special blend all the time with small water changes. Personally i would not take the chance

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

I must confess "l love the smell of skimmate" cos it is something that i dont haveto get out of my tank anymore. It is the stinky smell of success

9. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Totally possible to run a tank without one, especially if you're running a macroalgae or low stocked system. It's a very nice safety net though and can often save you from a tank crash in event of a Caulerpa spawning/anemone in pump/powerhead falling onto the DSB and various other calamities. They're also pretty awesome for oxygenation.

10. dallasg

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Be careful. Check the impeller of the skimmer. Not all can be switched on and off daily. they strip and then you need a new impeller. Reeftek TS2 is one that strips.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

13. mandarinman

mandarinman

Tunze 9430. At that price if it dies i will have a few choice words to say. Thanks for headsup

14. dallasg

turning a pump on and off repeatedly will cause damage, but several hours apart i cant see why

15. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

My one system used to be basically skimmer less. I ran the skimmer for a couple hours every second week and even then it didn't pull out much stuff. But that system was very lightly stocked, had a large dsb and a ton of macro algae.
    If you look at the efficiency of some of the all in one tanks, they might as well use that space for something else. Provided you have other means of nutrient export, you can get away without a skimmer.

16. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Doesnt/didn't glynn turn his skimmer off at night?

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Been there, done that, bought a new impeller, removed the timer. Why else would I warn about it?

The magnet part and blade part "click" together Blade part shaft got inside two ridges that sits around a ridge on the magnet part, and that little ridges is whats keeps the plastic blade part running with the magnet part. Repetitive on of actions, and the plastic side, the ridges wear out, and strips flat. Then the magnet part runs loose from the plastic blade part. The magnet turns, but the plastic part stands still. So check the impeller. On the white plastic ones, you can see the ridges inside. If yours is like that, do not put the skimmer on a timer.

It is actually a safety design. If something stops the impeller suddenly, then it rather strip the impeller than break the pump housing which could lead to electrical chocks.

19. mandarinman

mandarinman

Oh well it is only twice a week

20. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Protine skimming is mechanical removal of nutrients/Protine/detritus/waste whatever one wants to call the skimmate.

Other options to remove skimmate are filtering through filter socks/ sediment filters or power filters.

And there are biological methods like algae scrubbers etc.

All filtration is a balance.

21. mandarinman

mandarinman

I emptied my skimmer again after three days! Man alive that skimmate smells good! I think im hooked

Recent Posts