Is a coral beauty angelfish reef safe ?

kssquared

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
Anyone know, because I have read conflicting stories on the net ?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Most people say they safe most of the time.

I think you are pretty safe, but it depends on the individual fish

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
No angel can be cosidered totally "reefsafe" but coral beauties do seem better than most.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Kanga is right, depends on individual fish. I had a coral beauty in my previous tank and have one now in my current tank and NO PROBLEMS. He is just grazing on the live rock all day.

Afsal

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
got mines for a feqw months now , all he eva eats , is algae

NicoH

Bristleworm
Reaction score
They do become problamatic as they get older and will nip at corals and inverts. As such may or may not cause damage depending on size of tank and number of corals and inverts. If they are kept very well fed, including some nori or sea veggies on a daily basis, the nipping can be limited.

mandarinman

Achilles Tang
Reaction score
give my bi colour a plecomin tab every morning and feed him artemia in the evening

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome NicoH - please create a new thread on the "New Members" forum, and then introduce yourself to us? Who you are, where you are based - what's your experience with Marines, what tanks you have - and pictures of tanks, live stock, hardware, etc, please?

Many thanks.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
When putting a fish like this in your reef tank make sure you have a plan to remove him again if need be, otherwise you will be pulling your reef apart to catch him.

NicoH

Bristleworm
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the welcome. I four tanks at the moment. Two tanganyikan tanks containing the likes of juli, tropheus, leleupi, brichardi etc. The other two are marine tanks with one being a nano and the other a full blown 400l reef tank. I have been involved with tropical fish for over 16 years and marines for about two years.

calvin

Cardinal
Reaction score
kssquared
alan has given very good advice!! as some fish considerd reef safe will infact turn out to be monsters !! I had to catch and remove a sailfin tang from my 2500l system as it was nipping at my clams!! this is very rare but it does happen

Hill

Cardinal
Reaction score
I have had to remove a local cleaner wrasse from my tank after it took a like to my latest clam. Never bothered my previous 2 clams in the year I had them though. Go figure that one out.