Is a Copperband Reef safe ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by amalick, 12 Jul 2010.

1. amalick

amalick

Hi Guys

Managed to get myself a copperband, and no, before you ask its not to manage aptasia.

I just like the fish:yeahdude:. I managed to ween him onto bloodworm and in between he is even taking flakes and pellets:thumbup:. He is in my qt at the moment and will probably go into my DT in a few weeks if all goes well.

THe problem is that after following a few threads I'm starting to worry that this fellow may just NOT be reef safe. I know each fish is unique, but what have some of your experiences been with the copperband in a mainly LPS reef ?

My worries for for my fan worms, coco worms and shrimp etc..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Your fan worms will definitely all be eaten, I have none left and when I put a rock in the tank from the sump he clears out all the fan worms within seconds. Your coco-worm I'm not familiar with but I think they may be too big, I'm not 100% sure on that. Your shrimp will be fine.

4. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, I will probably remove my fan worm then, and put it in my frag tank for sale or swop or something like that.

Any other corals I should worry about (Leathers, Brains, Softies of all sorts, Hammers, Frog Spawn, Doughnuts, Torches, Goniopora, shrooms, organ pipes, zoos, galaxy, elegance,pagoda cups and the list goes on..)

5. FransSny

FransSny

The one I had did nip on the organ pipes...but fish differ , mine left aptasia alone :p

6. Annoying

Annoying

With my experience the fish left all the corals alone but no fanworms were left visible. Again it's a hit and miss.

7. boetie

boetie

i had cool ones and badies u will have to c if u happy with him

8. Trev

Trev

Although its correct to say that each fish is unique here are my experiances with copperbands and I have had a copper band in almost every tank.

They will demolish your feather dusters 100% garuanteed but as far as other corals go I think alot of the long nose butterfly's get branded corals munchers and wrongly so becuase most of the time if you look closely they are actualy only nipping at the algae or pods between the coral polyps (which is what the long mouth is for) and often touch the polyps causing them to close rapidly as if they polyp itself was nipped when in fact it wasnt. A fish which eats corals in the wild 90% of the time has a very unique mouth for tearing the polyps apart such as the Cheatodontoplus and Moorish Idol ( some flies dont apply to this ) and the CBB doesn't fall into this range of fish. But all said I am very sure there have been a few CBB's that have actually dont damage to corals

Sure is a pritty fish and well worth the effort

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I had one of these guys some years back. He ate all of my brain corals but never touched my SPS.

10. Trev

Trev

Yeah I should have mentioned brains and clams are also going to be wacked

11. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Oh Nooooo! - So I have to choose between the CB and this ?

[​IMG]

12. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Did some more research and it seems as if its a hit and miss when it comes to brains, so i'm going to take a chance. Fingers crossed

13. keyaam

keyaam

Good Luck ashraf. like you said its a hit n miss. If you can add a frag of a lps coral to your quarantine tank and then assess from there before adding him to your DT

14. Trev

Trev

Im a praying for you ma bru

15. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

I cant do this since there are traces of copper in my QT from prior medicating.

I wonder how quickly the CB could do irrecoverable damage to the brain ?. Perhaps I could monitor and remove the brain or the CB if I witness something

16. iamwrasseman

iamwrasseman

i have a resident CBB and he gets moved from tank to tank when needed he has not hurt any LPS corals and i have not seen him picking on any other corals of mine . as a matter of fact i never see him eat my aptasia but he destroys it very fast . he must eat it when im not home and the lights are off or just coming on unless he eats it at night . i have a few dendros and Duncan's and he leaves them alone as they somewhat have a small resemblence .

17. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

I've had a lot of Copper bands, never taken brains. If yours does, it takes a while, you have plenty of time to do something.

18. iamwrasseman

iamwrasseman

just wanted to update my comment on the CBB as i have had pretty good results keeping hammers frogspawns and torches and i have had a couple of heads die and treated etc in vain to keep them and they just withered away slowly no matter what i did . well i just caught my CBB picking on my Todds Torch and another froggie that had just had a head die . i really think that its the CBB that has been picking away slowly on the lps heads and i just haven't seen it but now i know its him as i have been watching him for an hour od so and he is smacking the polyps . he will have to leave soon and i just put him in my mushroom tank so he cant hurt any expensive corals . i have had him for five or so years and this is the first time he had done this but now i cant trust him at all .

19. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to risk it anyway, since my apasia scurge is a bigger problem for me at the moment.

20. iamwrasseman

iamwrasseman

i have had him for a few years and this is the first time he has gone after any corals . i have him in my mushroom tank and he can eat all he wants . in my tank that he was nipping the corals everything has bounced back like nothing happened except the two torches that he killed before i figured it out .
    best wishes with your CBB as the are usually nice

Recent Posts