Inverts before fishies then some softies?

Reaction score
Is this the right way to do things? Inverts first, cleaner snails and the like. Then fishies, then some softies zoa'a and shrooms... Just wanted to check. I got some cool LR from Alfie and it had some dove snails (Stomatella varia) on, I read that these guys will multiply and do their thing, but that the addition of shrimps will cause a decrease in their numbers. Does this mean that if I add shrimps they'll chow what my wife already called sluggybugs???? She is more concerned than I am.... Thanks guys.

you can put in the clean up crew first then followed by corals and then fish.its your choice.this is the way i usually do it though

That's the usual way to do things... I'd stick to hermits and snails for at least a month, maybe 2. Let the copepods etc multiply... Stomatella clean up a bit but they're not that useful. They will probably always be enough of them. They are like bristle worms, their population is like a direct indicator of how much you feed.

I haven't heard of shrimps eating stomatellas specifically but I had a few shrimps and still had quite a few stomatellas in my last tank. Shrimps are generally scavengers and will only eat things that are dead/dying.

Rhanks guys ama-appreciate. Will tell the wife so she can chill. How long after I added LR and all can I get some shrimps? When nitrites nonexistent?

Checked the nitrites and nitrates with a Seachem test kit. They were both non-existent??? The tanks was started 2 weeks ago and LR was added only 6 days ago. The LR was from Alfie's tanks and was thus cured already? Just wondering if there is maybe a latent spike lurking in the bushes somewhere. I understand the theory of the cycle and times and bacteria names and all that but sometimes practice is different to theory. Thanks again Neil

Yip ammonia also not there. PO4 0 as well. My skimmer is making lots of bubbles and almost getting to the brim of the cup, but no skimmate????? Just wondering what the cause would be. Its a Berlin classic running on a 1800lt/hr pump. Is it because there is no bioload yet? Also getting some light brown algae growing on the substrate and a little on the rocks? I don't think it is cyano because no PO4 or NO3??? Thanks again guys Neil

what testkit you using to test po4?
also try reducing the flow through the skimmer to about 1000lph.and yes there could be very little to no skimmate due to no bioload. (by the way,no experience with this skimmer)
the light brown algea is Diatoms,all normal,part of the cycle.it will however soon disappear.

Thanks man. The skimmer reckons 2000 lph, so I am a little under anyway. Cool thought it might be but also thought diatoms floated so thanks man putting me at ease. Will be asking some Q's very soon again. Neil

Back
Top Bottom