Invertor Help

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by Hammerhead, 14 Oct 2013.

1. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Hi Guys,

Had a 10hr power cut on Friday and lost my monti husurta. I need some assistance in choosing an inverter. I have been reading the previous posts and still require some clarity.

Ok so far i've learned that:

1. Its better to get a pure sinewave model.
    2. Get one thats rated for 3 times the total wattage of ur equipment to assist in startup of some equipment.
    3. Get a model with a battery charger included. (Trickle charger?).
    4. Get a model that has a built in relay so it switches on immediately.
    5. Use a deep cycle battery.
    6. Get a model that prevents ur battery from discharging too much so it extends the lifespan of the battery.

I hope I covered most things.

For now I wish to run 2 WP25 (8w to 20w depending on mode) and my return which is 135w and maybe my skimmer to boost oxygen levels, this has a otp 3000s at 40w

So to calculate the size of the invertor required i need to add all the wattages and multiply x 3. So in essence I need a min of a 675w inverter.

Now suppose I get myself an 800w invertor will this suffice. So assuming the battery can last up to 5hrs (this assuming it does not dischage below the recomended) with all of the above aquipment plugged in, should i wish to just run the WP25's at 40w only, to conserve power will this be a problem if i switch off the return and skimmer. Is it advisable to rather just get a smaller wattage invertor if i only want to run the WP25's.

Any recomendations on an invertor that has all of the above features. Is there one that u can set the discharge percentage (for when u have to decide on saving the battery or the livestock)? How will this affect how long the equipment run for?

Thanks guys.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

why dont you just get a online ups... they are slightly more expensive but will do the job just as good

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

and if you have some extra bucks to spend you can get a external battery packs which will cry you on for good few hours no problem

5. Afsal

Afsal

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Thread Starter

ok i have no idea, is this the line interactive or modified sinewave type.

Ive just spoken to someone from a company that makes them and they suggested a line interactive (MKodified sinewave), it has a 2 milisecond kick in time or something, they also mentioned that I dont need a deep cycle battery as i cn get away with a high cycle battery. Anyone care to comment.

7. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

yes line interactive and online is the same thing..

8. brettb2020

brettb2020

Pure sine wave is recommended for normal AC pumps but if you have DC pumps like the waveline pumps, vortechs or jebao(anything with an DC power supply box) modified sine wave is just fine.

You only need 3 times the total wattage for large pumps, chillers, metal halides and T5's as they have large start up currents.

The time your batteries will last is irrelevant of the invertor size but rather what your load is. For example: if you had a 300w and a 600w inverter with the same battery both running a jebao wp40 they would last the same time. The power rating on an inverter is just a limit.

DIY clearance warehouse in pinetown sells pure sine wave UPS's with charger and auto change over switch for ridiculous prices. I was there the other day and 300w were R300 and 600W were R600. you just need to buy batteries. :thumbup:

9. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Thread Starter

@nepellew i got the invertor from DIY Clearence Warehouse, was nice meeting you, let me know how the hairy mushroom frag does.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Bendor

Bendor

That's a fantastic price! I bought an pure sine wave inverter for a R1300 i think and they delivered the wrong one 3 times before the right one arrived. Also doesn't really switch when the power fails, it just constantly charges the battery while there is power and the connected equipment uses battery power all the time rather than straight from the wall. Will look into a UPS for my next tank.

Recent Posts