Invader snails

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by mandarin, 13 Jul 2010.

1. mandarin

mandarin

I collected some zoas from North coast a few months back, (valid permit) a few days ago i found a crazy looking snail on one of the zoas, white and green of colour and all curled like a boere wors, about 10mm across. I dumped it in the DSB but yesterday i found another one on one of the other zoa, same species.
    Now i think i've got trouble coming my way, i looked in the Jan/Febr 2010 Coral mag and here is the same oke, HELIACUS VARIEGATUS, loves zoas, if i found two there must be more. This must be bad luck for me, any advise.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Manderin - do you have a pic of these snails?

I know for a fact (personal experience) that you get sundial snails, that predate on zoanthids collected from the wild.....

These are round, with alternating black and white bands over the snail shell.....

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well HELIACUS VARIEGATUS is just the latin name for Sundail snails.
    Yes they are predators on Zoa's.

Also look for small hitch-hiker crabs, hiding in between the Zoa's, but more likely between button polyps.

The Pro's and Con's of collecting local Zoa, its free, but came with surprises. Should keep new Zoa in QT tank for a week or two until you find them all.

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Not so long ago I collected a brown long shelled snail & saw how amazingly he ate the GHA & some moments later I saw it on my largest zoas rock & noticed that he has chowed 3/4 of the zoas & man was I pissed so back he went & since then I left all snails alone, evil bastards they are!!!!

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well this is not a golden rule, but a good rule if you do not know what you got. It does not apply to all vegetarians as some cerith snails are good and the rule exclude them.

If the snail opening is oblong, like a rugby ball, like ()
    Then it is a predator.
    Like Muricidae and whelks

If the opening is round, soccer ball, O
    It is a vegetarian.
    Like Nerita's and Turbo's and Topshells

But as you will notice, this rule also do not apply to sundails. Well eating Zoa can be classified as being vegetarian... :whistling: Compared to Muricidae that eat bi-valves and other snails...

7. mandarin

mandarin Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply, have no pics but will try and get some and post. I dont think QT would help much because it's about 8 weeks ago when we collected them and now all of a sudden they show up.
    So far there was only one hitch-hiker crab, but i'll be watching. I'ts always my luck, wish for a blessing and then i get cursed.
    You guys should see all the beautifull stuff on the North coast, i'ts amazing. Before i started marines i've done a lot of fishing and never even noticed what was below the water line, my goodness and when we started diving it was really another story. I'ts so beautifull down there i can't believe what i've missed all my live.
    On one spot in a cave there was about +-300 hermit crabs all shapes and sizes all enjoying there part of the ocean, and a lot of fisssh, big shoals to small for anyones tank. Going back there when it gets warmer, better to watch than collect IMO.;)

Recent Posts