Introduction - Info

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by Rennie, 17 Jun 2013.

1. Rennie

Rennie

To whom it may concern.
    Hi my name is Renier and i`m from bloemfontein, my occupation is in the oil industry so am travelling quite abit and on an average 5 months in a year at home. Have just recently discovered this forum site and its awesome,cant get enough of all the info and tips.
    I have started my marine tank approximately 6 years ago with the help of a professional marine hobbiest.
    A short discription of my set-up.
    Lightning system consist of x2(two) flourescent bulbs (x1-white & x1 blue)& x2(two) metal halides 70W
    Skimmer of which x2 (two) hallea pumps
    Sump system with ceramic balls, uv light and activated carbon/live rock.
    Inside tank i have installed an close loop system-runs on a quite 6000 pump.
    Underneath sand i have put pvc pipe with small holes drilled in also with n pump connected to prevent any buld-up of sediments in the seabed.
    All lightning & heating is connected on comp. module,and timers.If for instance water temp. rises it will aotomatically switch of heaters and activate fans.
    Got plenty of flow/circulation inside my tank.
    I run kalkwasser on top of tenk in a 5l cannister over a 5day period
    As i went threw the forums,people mention reactors ?what is the purpose of these ?
    Threw my 6 years i have had loads off hick-ups and stuff dying but at the same time other specimens will florish, one of these hick-ups u will see for urself on the attach photo is my yellow tang with no fins,bought these two dimple fisk from LPS and these two buggers was the cause of that,they never grew back and cant get sofar to get rid of the fish,we are coming a long road together.
    Just to the left of the yellow tang there is another fish which seems to have type of skin irratation,have treated it several times but with no-luck,been trying to catch that bugger for the last 12 months,any suggestions on how to do it ?
    I only feed my fish every 3 days and anemons one a week
    If of any suggestions u have and any necessary equipment u think i need to get please let me know.??
    I am currently offshore in Qatar/Doha but if u require any more photos of set-up i am sure i will be able to get some from back home
    Would be highly appreciated.

20121103_124717.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi Rennie, welcome to the forum.
    Ideally fish need to be fed at least twice a day, try and increase their feeds if you can.
    Are the ceramic balls cleaned regularly? They need constant maintenance otherwise they lead to an increase in nitrates which may kill corals if the nitrates get too high. Also the carbon needs to be changed weekly.

Do you do any tests on the water? If so do you have you latest readings?

Are they T5 bulbs and how old are they?

The tank looks quite nice, It doesn't look like you have any major problems, I think you just need to maybe change one or two things to improve the water quality. :)

4. Rennie

Rennie Thread Starter

Hi Viper- thankx for the quick reply.
    As i am not at home most of the time i do have someone that comes around every thurday and do a 50liter waterchange for the thirst 3 weeks and there after a 25% waterchange/ owner of our LPS in bloemfontein.
    I do change and do constant maintanance on the ceramic balls.
    Have just ordered ORCA Nitra-Guard Bio-Cubes 500ml-as i believe it is doing wonders.
    As per the feeding i will increase to once every two days.
    Also located in my sump is one of these RO water canister with a carbon cartridge inside ,this is been circulated back into the sump/been changed regulary.

Cant give u any readings just now,am sitting 120km offshore in the middle east?Qatar.
    The tank i that i bought is one of these with a type of lid on the top,u can open the front section aswell as the back section, there was x3 flourence bulbs inside,the middle one i removed and install x2 metal hallides. Sometimes i think my corals will improve alot by re installing another lightning system. what do u think about the led systems ?
    And these reactors ? are they necessary ?
    Aswell as these automatic dosers ?
    Some of the tanks looks awesome on the forum and i would really want to improve mine.
    Any suggestions please let me know ?

5. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Hi Renier

Ive been using ORCA cubes for quite some time now, in my old nano and now in my frag tank. They have worked very well for me. But as anything in this hobby every tank is different. Just be careful not sure what your parameters normally are but you dont want your tank that used to 6years of high nitrates to suddenly drop to 0 nitrates. Your system and coral will go into shock

Reactors are not necessary, unless you want to run something in them like a PO4 remover, purigen ect. Once again be careful what you add and how much. From your pic I see you mostly have softies which tend to like some nitrate and PO4 in the water unlike SPS which cant tolerate Nitrate and PO4

LED are nice for various reasons power consumption been the biggest one. But could easily get the same results with more and better quality tubes or bigger MH. Are the MH marine speced or just the ones could by from Kloppers? Tubes also have a life span mostly 6months. When you back check if they are T8 or T5 bulbs. ATI & Giesemann are the two types Ive only ever used and was happy with them

Are you dosing anything? eg Special Blend, Alk buffer, Calcium, magnesium ect

6. Rennie

Rennie Thread Starter

I do dose trace elements,iodium,magnesium/calcium,ph buffer,is a total of 5 bottles(cant remember the 5th one) without the buffer.
    The bulbs is i believe the 10.000k, bought them from LPS, approx R250.00.
    Ask the wife what was the nitrate readings and she said between yellow and orange colour .
    I also have x2 small carbon pumps inside the tank,but as soon as i put in for excample brain coral it wont last for very long,eventually die.

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Any idea what those amounts are? In ppm. It will really help so we know what we are or aren't dealing with.

What are carbon pumps?

We really do need to know what your readings are, things like Nitrate, Phosphate, Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium. These parameters all tie in with each other and need to be in balance with each other, some are vital for coral survival, especially corals with a hard skeleton. For example, if Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium are too low then the coral will die, also, if Nitrate and Phosphate are too high then the coral will die. So you really do need to know what your levels are in order to rectify any of them if need be.

However, with your regular water changes your levels should be ok'ish. Looking at your tank I would hazard a guess that you possibly have elevated Nitrate levels which could be caused by those ceramic balls, I'm really not a fan of them or bio balls in a reef tank, there is no need for them, they cause more headache and maintenance than what they are worth.

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

HI Rennie, Welcome to the forum. Some good advice already give here. I would also like to know what your parameters are, as I think the answer will lie here.

May I ask if you are running a skimmer, and if so what size? also what is the total system volume of water?

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do you have auto feeders?
    I'm away a lot as well lately.

Got 2 autofeeders that feed 3 times a day a small dose.

10. Rennie

Rennie Thread Starter

Hi guys

My skimmer was customly build by a professional(Nico) also from bloemfontein, it consist of x2(two) Haleia pumps (have recently changed the one out/was faulty-paid R2500),would say diameter is approx 200mm,height approx 800 to 900mm.
    Well to be quite honest this tank from the start was just one problem after the other.

I am currently in discussions with a Mr Lawrence Wulff

Director Of Aquaria-SA.

Just need the thumbs up from u guys on these two systems( which one is the best deal ),the finishing presentation looks awesome. And please if there are any other manufactures please let me know, i really really want this time something that can and will work.

Aquaria AABZ2000 Complete Aquarium and cabinet

Aquaruim Size - 2000 x 600 x 820 Cabinet Size - 2000 x 600 x 780 Lighting T5 21w x 8
    Full sump Filtration in Cabinet
    Anti-slam door hinge
    Wood work covered in Perspex to water proof wood work.
    Includes all pipe work to connect up aquarium
    Full plug and play systym
    Intelligent controller
    Includes filtration pump
    2 x heaters
    Cone shaped skimmer with bubble plate and SICCE needle wheel pump
    2 year warranty on heaters, pump and aquarium.
    3 year warranty on Skimmer.
    R29000.00 incl vat Normal price R36000.00 incl vat

Aquaria AABZ1500 Complete Aquarium and cabinet
    Aquarium Size 1.500 x 0.600 x 0.820
    Cabinet Size – 1.500 x 0.600 x 0.780
    Lighting T5 x 4 28w
    Full sump Filtration in Cabinet
    Anti-slam door hinges
    Wood work covered in Perspex to water proof wood work.
    Includes all pipe work to connect up aquarium
    Full plug and play
    Intelligent controller

Includes filtration pump
    2 x heaters
    1 x APS-06-s2250-CI Skimmer with SICCE needle wheel impellor [
    2 year warranty on heaters, pump and aquarium.
    3 year warranty on Skimmer.
    R22000.00 incl vat Normal price R27000.00 incl vat.

I also want to purchase the 4 channel doser/if i purchase the doser do i still need an kalk reactor/stirrer ?
    Any more requirements needed ?? as i want to purchase everything from one manufacturer.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

for R7000 more you get a 33% bigger system.
    I would go for the 2m system

But still, you would need auto feeders.

no need then for kalk stirrer.

12. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Perhaps ask him what this system offers interms of better lighting or upgradablity.
    Both tanks seem to have similar light outputs relevant to their size. It might limit your system in terms of keeping only sofites and LPS. If your looking to keep SPS you will need stronger lighting

His tanks do look nice though.

13. Rennie

Rennie Thread Starter

Morning Gents
    Hope all is fine on urs side.
    I did get hold of some photos of my tank at present.
    Please have a look and let me now what i can change or adjust or any additional components needed.
    After intense reading on the forum i know my dsb is way out from the accuired depth,mine at present between 3 to 4cm, want to increase the depth to 12cm, can i fill up the rest all at once or better to fill maybe 2" at a time on a weekly basis. ?
    Got some parameters
    nitrate 40
    po4 2
    ph 8.5
    FE o
    salinity 1023
    I constanly struggle quite bad with nitrate, hopefully this orca bio guard cubes will work ?
    Then the second photo is of my leather coral(thinks that is its name),i start getting these white spots,have dip in iodium any other suggestions .?

I did buy the 2m tank from Lawrence and did upgrade the lightning to led`s, So my present tank i want to use just for corals etc
    Lastly i was told to keep nutrients in check use orca cus and rowaphos. How do u use these,what is orca cus ?

Thankx again for all the feedback

IMG-20130618-WA0001.jpg

Attached Files:

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

would it be OK if we moved your thread to the members section. then everybody can answer on your questions, not just the moderators?

15. Rennie

Rennie Thread Starter

Please go ahead and re-post of where u think is necessary

16. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

masahello

17. the fish

the fish

masahello

18. tonik999

tonik999

man zhalatata zebrazoma why urafana studs or to me, it seems that there are no fins tkaa you took it or not snimktata fizhda but to me, prilcha me somebody is biting and even have assumptions.

Recent Posts