Urgent help needed Introducing 3 Tangs to my tank

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Rabbit, 15 Apr 2011.

1. Rabbit

Rabbit

Hi Guys,

Could you please help me out, i've ordered 3 tangs:

Yellow,

Red Sea Sailfin

Powder Blue

As i know the rule is that you should introduce tangs fish at the same time to avoid fighting. My question is would it be possible to introduce these fish all at once, would it not cause to much of a load at once ??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

How big is your tank, how long has it been running and what filtration do you have?

4. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

its a 1.2wide x 450mm depth x 600 high. Its been running for 5months.

Sump contains multi layer filter floss, 450 x 450 dsb with cheato. Diy phosphate and carbon reactor. and a TS1 skimmer

5. gaboon

gaboon

I would only put a yellow tang in a tank that size.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2011
  6. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

I agree with Gaboon...

The sailfin get's pretty big.

A Powder Blue gets way too big, it's too active for such a small tank and it requires prestine water conditions in order to thrive... Otherwise you'll just have yourself a nice white spot factory.

While I know that this is not what you want to hear, but it's better for your system and for the fish.

7. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt response guys, I'm planning to upgrade my system in the next couple of months, my total water volume is close to 400 L

Do u guys still feel this strongly about cancelling the order ?

8. gaboon

gaboon

All 3 fish are readily available, spoil yourself when you get the new tank:)

9. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Ja dude... Especially on the Powder Blue. They are extremely active fish. They need LOTS of open swimming space.

10. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

Yup, call the tang police. Research before you buy/catch.

11. IMarine

IMarine

Hi Rabbit ,what you need to do is quarantine your fish,each 1 in its own holding tank you dont need a skimmer but keep water levels at excellent water levels and 1 pcs of live rock out of you tank into each quarantine tank, add prime and some stabality pls correct ph,kh levels and watch for ammonia,if you opt not to quarantine then get 3 plastic buckets from plastics for africa with wholes in it and submerse into you tank but not let it sink to the bottom, and then add your fish. i would say its very possible to keep up to 4 tangs in thats size tank but that comes with excellent water quality, and yes there will be fighting,you never going to stop that,if i am you rather wait for your new tank set up then after 6 months of good quality parameters add your fish,remember a powder blue tang has to be the last fish to add and comes with a price,if you do not quarantine you will have a problem up to loosing the fish,yes there is a lot of reefers that will not agree with what i say by keeping 4 tangs in a 400 lt tank but i do it all the time and yes when they get big sell them and get smaller ones

12. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice guys, i'll ask the LFS to put a hold on these fish until I get all my ducks in a row

13. IMarine

IMarine

all the best and if you need help send me a pm

14. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

I have a regal, a yellow & a scopas in my 4ft which is way too small right now as they've grown considerably since they where purchased but they hopefully moving into their new 5ft next Monday. I would rather get them once you get a bigger setup as I also considered selling my guys once they get too big but they sorta grow on you with their individual personalities and it may be difficult to sell them as in my case.

On the other hand, if they all quite small and you foresee getting a bigger tank in the next few months, then maybe go for it as this may give them time to get used to each others behavior and a chance to establish dominance so when you get the bigger tank, the quarreling is hopefully over and they should settle in nicely. THIS IS IN ME EXPERIENCE AND OPINION ONLY, TANG POLICE, PLEASE DON'T BLAST ME FOR THIS:p

15. Meneer

Meneer

Sorry for the hijack... but it seems appropriate.

Would A Small Regal and a Small Yellow be to much for a 4 ft?
    Are regals difficult and also white spot collectors like powder blues?

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I have 4 regal youngsters in a 3 ft. However this is there nursery. It would be un cool to try and keep one in this size tank. I have the means to relocate these guys later. So what you see in a LFS or display is not what can be done long term by the enthusiast.

Consider the big picture, and plan for your dream. But at all times, have a planed solution for growth. After all finding homes for unwanted fish reflects on poor planing and disregard for advice given.

As the guys say a 1 yellow tang is max for your tank.

17. Tremayn

Tremayn

Meneer, you get tiny tangs, they are about 3cm long. They are smaller than a chromis. You could get away with that in your 4ft and you will have some time with them before they grown too big. Regals are not difficult but they are white spot factories. It is important to quarantine new fish additions but it is imperative with tangs

18. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

Would cleaner wrassies help with white spot parasites on these tangs?

19. Tremayn

Tremayn

Cleaner wrasses are very difficult to keep as they mainly feed on parasites etc... So you will need a very large and heavily stocked system with about 1 cleaner wrasse for it to work out. A Cleaner shrimp would be a better option :)

20. flappy

flappy

No cleaner wrasses will not work for white spot. White spot is under the skin so while they will help to eat the dead skin as a resultant wound from the white spot they wont actually assist with the white spot.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2011
  21. flappy

flappy

cleaner shrimp wont eat the white spot either,the cleaner shrimp will however assist with flukes

Last edited: 16 Apr 2011
Recent Posts