Intro from a marine newbie

Discussion in 'New Members' started by WazzaSA, 13 May 2012.

1. WazzaSA

WazzaSA

Hi All,

Firstly my name is Warren and to be honest I am a newbie when it comes to marine aquariums. I have a community freshwater tank, Cichlids tanks and a koi pond outside but not a marine aquarium, I have always been fascinated by the marine aquariums and always been cautious to try as everyone has said its hard work and its costs alot of money and blah blah blah... So after spending hours and plenty bandwidth watching all kinds of youtube videos I have decided to give it a try, I had a 20 litre tank laying around and decided to turn that into a nano tank, i know its not for beginners but I went for it anyways, I have had the nano running for over 3 months now, the water is stable and live rock was good, I recently added 2 clowns and a torch coral to it and they have all been happy so far... the clowns are swimming in the torch and things are looking good, this tank is a temp tank as I am now planning to build a larger aquarium, 1200 x 600 x 700, I am going to be building the stand, tank, canopy... everything. The reason for this is I want to know how everything works and have a hands on with how the system works and runs!!!

So this is not going to be my last post and will be posting alot more and asking for alot more advice when the build process starts.

Thanks and hope oneday I will be able to assist someone else!

Thanks again

Waz

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Hi and welcome,yeah once it bites you that's it,it will always be a part of you.....if I may add this point(from what I have also experienced),torch corals are not like anemones where they don't mind a fish living in them,so whenever the clowns go into the torch I'm sure its trying to retract,doesn't look fully extended in the pic,basically the clowns bother it and it doesn't like it much..I've seen clowns trying to host in some corals,but yeah a lot of corals won't like been touched and pushed all the time..

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...always great to have a New Member...:1:Congrats on the starting of you'r 1st Tank and no surprise on the "upgrade tank...we ALL end up doing that...:biggrin:..when the bug bites...:p

If I can add on the Torch topic...it really is a "hit and miss"...you are either lucky or not..
    Will my clowns bother my torch? - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Just keep an eye on the Torch and see if it eventually opens up...some of the Members have there Clowns in Torch Corals and experience no problems...:blush: They don't have to "host" in anything...I've got Clowns who ignored my Torch and "hosts" my powerhead and the other one is inlove with my GHA..:blush:

5. WazzaSA

WazzaSA Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome :)

When the pic was taken the torch was just put in the tank so it was still opening up, i have noticed that it has opened. Last night i noticed one of the clowns swimming and playing with the torch at it didnt seem to mind so hopefully i am one of the lucky ones that dont have a problem, but i will keep and eye on it and see if any changes happen.

The bug has def hit so really looking forward to starting this new hobby and making a great aquarium, like i have read on many post, patience is the key, there is no rush when it comes to marine reef tanks!

Thanks again for all the info and help so far.

Waz

Recent Posts