Intro and general discussion

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Zandy, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Zandy

Zandy

Hi all marine lovers, i have been reading posts here quite often and now have decided to give marine as a hobby a go. This is all new to me, so you will see me regularly asking silly and sometimes stupid questions. :p Ok so i bought a secondhand Red Sea Max 130 tank which will arrive in JNB by hopefully Monday. Included in the sale i will get some araganite as substrate as well. I suppose that would be what i would call sea sand?
    I would like to know the following: After assembly i will obviously have to run the tank with perhaps some live rock for the bacteria to grow ect? How long do i need to have it running before adding any life fish ect? I would eventually like to have some soft anemones perhaps like a purple tip or something that won't outgrow my tank. I plan to have some clown fish in there and perhaps a regal?
    Can i use fine black gravel in the tank instead of the araganite?
    Then another question i was asked by someone else..
    If they have a valid licence (not sure what that refers to) to remove ornamental fish from the ocean. Can a person take fish caught from say kzn and integrate it into a home system? And if so what will the procedure be?

Thanks in advance:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...:1:

4. Zandy

Zandy Thread Starter

Thank you for the welcome

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM Welcome to MASA, Zandy! Don't worry about asking questions. That's how ALL of us started. Rather ask a 1000 questions, than kill a 1000 fish trying to do things without asking.

There's really only one basic set of rules to follow.
    - be PATIENT!
    - have a really decent filtration system
    - no matter what you decide to keep, you will need to learn about their biology, physiology and animal behaviours
    - you will learn about water dynamics
    - you will learn about photosynthesis and lighting
    - you will learn about water chemistry
    - you will learn about electronics, electricity and water (salt water)

The best of all is - learn how to ENJOY your pets.... don't be in a hurry....

6. ScottK

ScottK

masahello

As jaquesb has said, rather ask questions and be informed than make unnecessary mistakes :) We are all here to help.

Read through @viper357 post on the marine aquarium cycle. The process normally takes 4-6 weeks to happen without the help of any additives. With your first tank it is advisable to take the long route to understand what is happening. Some basic test kits or taking your water to your local pet store for testing is advised during this process.

Marine Aquarium Cycle - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Anemones are only advised to be kept in mature tanks of 9 months or older. Mature tanks are a lot more stable in terms of water parameters and after this period the owner of the tank is also a lot more mature and more capable of looking after this sensitive life form.

Clown fish will be fine and don't need an anemone to live in. If you are referring to a Regal Tang the RSM 130D is unfortunately too small due to the swimming space this fish needs, it would be unfair to keep one in this size tank.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    viper357 likes this.
  7. Zandy

Zandy Thread Starter

Thank you so much for this info.

8. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

welcometomasa

Recent Posts