Into

Discussion in 'New Members' started by polyp, 3 Oct 2012.

1. polyp

polyp

Hi There Everyone

I am really new to this and have just bought a 2nd hand Boyu Tl450. From what i hear these are inceredible nanos
    We bought this nano 2nd hand from a family member who had been keeping live rock and about 3 or 4 clowns with one or 2 cleaner shrimps.

With the tank we got about 6 kilos or so of live rock, not the blue ones but the other ones. There is some growth on the rock but its not hectic algae or anything. on the 1st day we went to the 2 oceans fetched water scaped the tank (there was already some substrate in which was running all along.

As far as i can tell in the four chambers we have 1. heater and powerhead (the original one) 2. bioballs 3. skimmer (no sponge in) and 4. i am not sure. (ithink this is standard for the boyu)

We have been adding some bacteria in the tank as per instruction from the guy who set up the original tank (pet shop guy from ottery).
    sorry i dont have the names as i am at work now.

On the 2nd day the light wouldnt work and i disassembled the hood since the one switch was clearly not working and the other one probably needed a light bulb change)
    The stupid thing is - i broke the hinge clips that attached the hood to the tank (where it screws in) both of them. So now I feel like a complete idiot since there should have been an easier way to take the hood off.

for now though the hood is just sitting on the tank. no lights working but everything else is going strong.

we checked the PH levels and salinity, and calcium and all seems fine but we did measure calcium in at 550ppm. We were using the red sea kits.

The question is - when do we introduce livestock or do we just sit and wait?

anyways this is a great forum and I look forward to learning more and more all the time.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wes

Wes

try get the light sorted before hand

4. Jayceew

Jayceew

Welcome!

Read up in the beginner sections on the cycle of a new tank etc. Lots of articles available for you to read and understand the basics.

In terms of adding livestock, you will need to give it a few weeks at least, tank needs to finish it's cycle.

Adding bacteria is a good thing, it will assist with the cycle. Look at Prodibio, Special Blend, Stability etc. as good bacteria sources. Other good brands are also available, pop into a reputable shop and try and get one of these good brands of bacteria.

5. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

You must be Zaheeras Husband? :lol: judging by the story, she already an active member and is keeping us up 2 date

Last edited: 3 Oct 2012
  6. NADEEM

NADEEM

lol

7. NADEEM

NADEEM

if getting a new hood/hinge or whatever is too much of a schlep, look at building your own hood, that way, you can put whatever lights you want in there, and fans and whatever.
    Have a look at the DIY Section, Arries built a hood for this tank, you could get ideas from his design.

good luck

8. Zaheera

Zaheera

hey look who joined... yes he's the lucky fish!!! :blush:

so we went to get a new light and came across the most amazing fish store in Fish Hoek - you probably all know the one - amazingly inspirational and great service.
    Got new light - can't wait to install this.

I have let hubby off the hook, after wembley, a drive to fish hoek.... for now.
    We've decided to scout around for new lid - so if anyone knows of one please let us know. But in the mean time, we can replace the one bulb, and maybe try to fix the other switch. If we get that right then we might buy second bulb and glue clamps??? will keep you posted.

Any wise words of things we can do tonight.. to the tank that is!!! :blush:

:thumbup:

9. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

I'm guessing you guys reside in southern suburbs... So fish hoek has a beautifull store, nt sure if they still sponsors but checkout Perky Pets superstore in Diep river, and obviously Sams Aquariums in bergvliet ... They sponsors on masa and if I'm right, you couldv possibly paid half the price for that globe by them:thumbup:.... And let's not forget Reza from exotic reefs who just became a sponsor ,his the guy who did your setup if I read correct

10. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

Oh yes.... Dnt EVER glue clips.... They unfortunately nt faile safe,chances are it could come loose and lights could meet the water and electrocute ur stock and possibly blow a ballast or 2 causing your extra $$$$ ...... Maybe look into an open top idea with a aftermarket unit perhaps? ....or just get a replacement hood

And I nearly forgot, I'm sure there must be a DIY method to repairing those light?.... Won't have2 look the part cause its hidden under the hood but as long as it works right?

Last edited: 3 Oct 2012
  11. Zaheera

Zaheera

and you got that all from the fact that i didn't say any of that.. are you are storker... :lol:

and yes for fun we've been to sams last week, perky pets yesterday, FHoek today.. and Reza on Sunday!

Guess we really are the excited over-enthuastic newbies.. this is just so different from our usual freshwater tanks, dogs, cats, birds and kids!!!

btw: could you not have told me about the discount sooner!!!! feeling very blonde...

12. Zaheera

Zaheera

glue is for the clips of the hood at the back - at the moment the hood just rests on the tank itself... should we rather just leave it? can it be toxic to tank?

13. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

:lol: the idea is to look around before buyin and in that way you will find whose who and who gives best service and prices.... As for the stalker part, well most moslems from southern suburbs like wembleys Falooda , so yeah ....:rofl: so I just put 2 +2 together.... And the hood, well if your kids can't reach, leave it as is, but watchout for the cables, surely they'll tug on those and pull the entire hood down....so 2 be safe, get a non toxic glue,any would work,but non toxic js incase a teeny bit touches the water, shit does happen :p

14. Zaheera

Zaheera

so what's next... after the hook and light replacement tonight.. wat else can we do?

15. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

Well I'm sure your tank is scaped,aragonite in,water obviously,media in back??? Heat @ 25-26deg?? Did you add a bacteria source to boost your cycle??? ..... Fit hood fix lights and be patient till amonia, nitrate and nitrite reads 0....may take a few day/weeks then the real fun begins, adding corals,fish ,shrimps crabs,snails etc

16. polyp

polyp Thread Starter

i think its oviaas..... we wait..... and wait.... and wait.... until nitrate levels are zero
    then we spend and spend and spend

17. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

:thumbup: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbup: :rofl: :rofl:

Welcome to the Reefers lifestyle:biggrin:

18. Zaheera

Zaheera

:tt2: i'm going to shop online for some more kewl stuff... like... um.... lights!!!
    boys!

19. polyp

polyp Thread Starter

My wife is always cautioning me to go slow and not be in a hurry with this. I gues she right. sometimes though it seems like it will take ages. With malawi tanks and other freshwater tanks add water - condition - and wait a few days and voila
    but marine tanks - it just looks so much more rewarding.

20. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM Cape Town WELCOME to MASA, Polyp! Great to have you "on-board"!

Please be VERY patient - and read a LOT - remember: "only bad things happen quickly in keeping marines"!

Also "Knowledge ensures success" in keeping marines!

Please enjoy and ask as many questions as you need to - that you can become the best marine aquarist that YOU can be!

21. Ayoob

Ayoob

welcometomasa

Recent Posts