Intertidal refugium

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by MistaOrange, 12 Dec 2010.

1. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Hi guys I'm interested in making an intertidal refugium. What equipment would be needed for such a setup? To be honest I haven't done any research on it but will start now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Michael

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lv

lv

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what is the difference between an intertidal refugium, and a tank with just cheato?
    Are you thinking of mangroves... Or what exactly makes a refugium intertidal? Or do you want to change the water volume in it during the day? Simulation low and high tide.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Interesting concept.
    BUT
    you cannot use any ATU on this design. Due to the flactuations you will have in the sump.

And I wonder what is the noise level. Concept works exactly the same as surge device where water is pumped up to containers above the display. And then a surge of water enters the display, like a wave crashing down. Big problem with them are the noise, bubbles created, salt creep and issues with auto top up switches as you always have flactuations.

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Same princepal as a surge bucket. Easy to Diy.

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I dont know if the about system is good as a intertidal system i think it would fill and empty and fill again within 5 min, wouldnt it?

8. MistaOrange

MistaOrange Thread Starter

Well maybe not a refugium but would like a bio type setup that the tide rises & lowers just like it does naturally. I would really like to mimic what I saw in florida with red & black mangroves which is a reef as such.

The surge bucket is not what I would really want as riaan said the noise issue but don't want waves crashing just water level rising & lowering slowly. I know it will be quite a challenge but would really like to try to build it.

Simon Garratt has built something similar but not the same bio type a very interesting setup he has http://reefbuilders.com/2010/10/19/simon-garratts-intertidal-reef-months/

9. MistaOrange

MistaOrange Thread Starter

Mmmmm I wonder if maybe run a low rated pump making the high tide & some how make a device to slowly drain the water to a certain level maybe a very thin pipe as a over flow to create the low tide. Or using 2 bio type setups as 1 fills the other empties & so forth? Do you think that would work or just kak praat?

Recent Posts