&*#% Internet- Please help???????

Discussion in 'Internet' started by seank, 4 Jul 2011.

1. seank

seank

I was bullied into an upgrade from my Service provider (The same one I had problems with a couple of years ago re R25000.00 bills) to upgrade from my old 2GIG- I paid R450.00 per month for 2gig, but obviously went over the 2gig, but my average account was about R1100.00 per month.

They gave me a new package- 3Gig uncapped,with (according to them) lightning fast speed. I had the package for 02 weeks and then the speed dropped to 128kbps.
    After phoning the service provider, I was told that it was some consumer act, preventing one from exceeding the specified amount of gigs etc etc etc.

Needless to say, 03 weeks late- after zillions of phonecalls, trips to the service provider shop etc, I am still on a slow connection.

I have just about filled a page with every Tom, Dick and Harry's name, ref number etc I spoke to over the past weeks.

I feel the time has come for me to move on and let the Service provider find someone else to F..ck around. Obviously my money does not mean much to them (My average account at this service provider for my phones as well as internet is about R7500.00 per month)

I have read about Afrihost and some other companies on this Forum, but I do not know much about all of these techno stuff.

So in short: PLEASE ADVISE AND DIRECT ME TO THE RIGHT COMPANY WHERE I CAN GET INTERNET AT A VERY FAST SPEED THAT WILL NOT PENALIZE ME IF I GO OVER THE AMOUNT OF GIGS GIVEN.

And do I need a Telkom line for any of the suggestions given????

Thank you in advance.

P.S.
    One of the reasons for me not being on this forum this much, or opening threads, is the fact that it takes me about 07 minutes to open a thread, especially when there are pics involved, and then the pics open only halfway anyway.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AndrévN

AndrévN

Well i use cell C 3G with there dongle and pay an upfront fee of R2999 for 5gig per month for 12 months, if i do go over the cap i just buy new cap at a nominal fee. 2 gig added at R389 and so forth. You get thing like Virgin for the normal cell phone calls where you get refunded R10 for every R20 spent and of course 8ta where you also get rewarded for calls made AND received and after every first 5 sms per day at 65cents the rest of the day its free even if you sms 1000 times it stays free.

4. AndrévN

AndrévN

Your other option would be MWEB uncapped for R369 per month and the fee escalates with the speed. Telkom also has various capped options on contract where they include local calls for free. But there i can get you some more info with regards to Telkom and the other stuff as my sister uses them and for the saving money part as they used to pay ballooned amounts.

I also changed to CELL C as my 3G account used to be around R1170 a month for 6gigs so it is way cheaper this way and now i have HSUPA and not 3G and its actually full speed all month and no f...ing down time or gps half the month like VODACOM as they always have problems. And my cell account has gone from R1200 to around R350 with the refunds and 99cents a minute rate from Virgin.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

@Rory is the man for this. I recall him mentioning something about a package from Cell C that seems to be the best around at the moment.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2015
  6. viper357

or Max, he seems to know a thing or two :p

7. AndrévN

AndrévN

Mahahaahahaha i already use them. To say the least i used to pay R10 to R15k a month for 3G at Vodacom im serious they a bunch of you know whats>>>>>>

8. AndrévN

AndrévN

Yip R2999 for 5gig for 12 months and R1499 for 2gig for 12 months and this fee includes the dongle mahalala. And no accounts to blow your f.... mind ekse LOL.

9. seank

seank Thread Starter

Thanks guys, will wait for more responses

10. seank

seank Thread Starter

And yes, I have reported the whole debacle incl all the ref numbers to Hello Peter dot com

11. AndrévN

AndrévN

Good im still refusing a payment to a supplier with regards to bad service and it has been almost 3yrs now. I just get the sms every now and then to remind me that they plan legal action against me but nothing to date materialized.

12. viper357

Sean, I think one of your biggest problems is using photobucket, you upload pics that are way too big in filesize, most of the pics you upload to the forum are between 500kb and 1mb in size, that sort of thing will chow your cap so quickly, you gotta keep the big pics on your pc and make the ones you upload to photobucket a lot smaller in file size.

13. seank

seank Thread Starter

Dean, I reduce the size to 1024 x 800- well, 99% of them, but I do not really use that much of photobucket anyway.... and still, even if I do, I would not want to be penalized for using bandwidth. It is like being back at school again, getting punished for stupid litle things.

But I would like to get something bigger and better- really getting fedup with this service provider.

Btw- are you complaining that I use up the Server memory.....lol :biggrin:

14. Keanan

Keanan 2time

@seank and @Max Mweb's uncapped is shaped so they will still throttle you depending on how much bandwidth you use but most times you still get throttled and a lot.

My father had Mweb's uncapped and unshaped 10mb line which cost him about R3000 a month and Mweb throttled him like hell. He then changed to Afrihost and the throttling subsided a lot if not stopped.

Also Afrihost is the cheapest I could find, Im paying R145(I think) for a 5 gig unshaped account. And you will need telkoms adsl line for them and for most service providers.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. seank

seank Thread Starter

I just browsed Afrihost. Can get a 50gig , 10mbps for R475.00 per month. Does not sound bad at all

16. SIMS

SIMS

8ta has 10 gigs for R199 and add R100 and get 10 gigs between 10-6am 8ta else contact Mweb...I have uncapped and had no issues

17. SIMS

SIMS

add in the telkom line to that

18. seank

seank Thread Starter

Please elaborate more Sims,and, Do I still need a Telkom line??

$$$$????

19. AndrévN

AndrévN

Ok but this is from 10pm to 6am is it not?

20. viper357

Nah, you're not online often enough :lol:

21. SIMS

SIMS

the extra 10 gigs for R100 yes...the first 10 is anytime

Recent Posts