International equipment orders

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by jacqolive, 11 Dec 2012.

1. jacqolive

jacqolive

Hey Guys

I am busy looking at the cost of my new tank I will be installing next year when my house is finished to be built. Just to give you guys an idea of the equipment I will be using here is a list of some of the bigger items.

Skimmer: Reef octopus XP8000 external
    Calcium Reactor: Super Reef octopus 5000D
    Profilux 3ex with touch screen
    5 x Vortech MP60
    Vertex Illumina 360 1800

As you all know these items dont come cheap, so I was thinking about looking at ordering some of it from overseas. I have found a site in Germany that sells to international clients and did a few calculations, it turns out I can save vast amounts by importing from them.

Does anyone have any sites that they could recommend and have experieance with?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

How big is your tank going to be dude?:eek:
    Remember, you'll be paying import tax on these items as well, did you take that into account?

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

You can add 14% VAT and safely 30% duties on some items
    301 Moved Permanently
    Not sure if they still a sponsor

5. crispin

crispin

i would also use sewatec if you want to import. I use them from germany to norway and have had great service from them

6. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

210(l) x 125(w) x 70(h)

That is actually the site that I found, they have some good deals on there like buy 2 vortech's and get 25% off.

I have taken the VAT into account but would need to check the customs codes for the specific items before ordering but even with 30% duties I will save loads compared to buying local.

7. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Another thing you have to consider is support and warrantee. At least with the local guys one is likely to get problems resolved fairly quickly... Imagine having to ship your Illumina back to swtec.. Probably at your expense.. And the time factor..... No lights over your tank..... Or no skimmer while you wait for replacement impeller.... Or imagine it getting stuck at customs..
    Not saying dont do it, as I myself am considering bringing in some toys, but its not always about saving a few bucks...
    If i cannot source something locally at a price which is reasonable, then I would look towards the likes of swtec or pre aquatics...

8. DeanT

DeanT Dean

With shipping you always runt he risk of stuff being damaged during transit.
    I had dosing barrels sent to me , and they broke the one set.

Rather look for someone to bring over the smaller stuff and then look locally for the bigger goods.

I have found when importing sometimes you don't save a lot, due to the taxes, but if someone carries it, then you save on transport and other costs (cough)

Also you always find equipment in the for sale section, and I would say most of the time you will get good prices here , and guys seem to look after the stuff pretty well.

Also you must remember that if companies have an agent based locally, they will not sell to you, but refer you to the agent, I have experienced this before

9. flappy

flappy

Agreed,it all sounds too good to be true until you need support or a guarentee honored,just easier to keep it local

10. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

shipping duties will kill the savings, and support and warantees well thats also a head ache.

11. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

Hi @jacqolive , most items would be benificial to get locally as most guys have said, but you must still weigh up the saving you will make when ordering internationally. Exchange rate can also be a killer as rand not so strong at the moment beginning of this year was great for when i was importing so my savings were pretty high. As far as duties, pays to know a clearing agent , submersible pumps, duty free Tariff code 8413.81.00 and for lighting unit 20% duty 9405.40.90.3 , both will have 14% vat applicable. Shipping can get quite expensive as well. As far as support goes, i have dealt with many companies internationally not only for marine but other companies to, the support is there, just takes a little bit longer for things to get done, but patience is a key in marines anyway. Anyway good luck with the tank, 5 vortechs, i reckon theres gonna be some tidal wave action in your tank:tt2:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Importing stuff, and you could save money. I said COULD. Check all the other costs like duties and transport. Generally I would not ship heavier articles like pumps. Neither anything where I could get into a warranty problem.

And, after all, your local LFS also needs to survive and make money. If everybody imports their own hardware and only rely on LFS for livestock. They surely will close down. Where will you then get your livestock? Another shop. But as the shop numbers decline, so does the prices on livestock increase. Competition, bulk sales...

Just saying...

13. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

Also something else to point out, sometimes the suppliers don't bring in certain items which are only available overseas, hence the reason for us to import these items. Don't get me wrong i am all pro supporting local, since i am in the import, export game as well, and want my customers to support me and not buy international

14. verniedlx

verniedlx

Good, im already ont he phone with my friends in .DE ;-)

15. Andreas

Andreas

As a matter of interest, does anyone know the duty % on skimmers and what tariff class they fall under.

16. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

@Andreas , Skimmer will fall as duty free, as a pump is involved in the skimmer i would classify the skimmer as tariff 8413.91.004 being duty free as requiring a pump to work to create the air bubbles, obviously if the pump is attached to skimmer you could bring it in under pumps tariff 8413.81.00 which is still duty free

Last edited: 12 Dec 2012
  17. crispin

crispin

a nice thing about dealing with Sewatec is that they automatically remove the tax from the listed price on the web as export is tax free from Germany. If you log in outside of Germany you get a tax free price on the web and if you click world-wide shipping they give you all the options with regards to costs of shipping.

with the brands you are looking at buying I wouldnt think there will be too many problems with warentee's as they are all good quality equipment.

18. vatso

vatso

I always find it interesting that most people giving advice about importing import nothing or very little

I have imported 3 Hanna checkers and my Light meter & saved myself 50% after shipping and duties - Oh and they work just fine!!!

I also imported MH globes around 6 and only 1 broke & they offered a free one on the next order!
    Oh and the saving well again 50% +

So far in the years or importing stuff from Bike parts and spares to HD projectors and top end BluRay Players I have saved way more then the so called warranty and breakage cost!

I am lucky I suppose?

PS you can always ask the seller to check the goods before shipping ;)

19. Andreas

Andreas

Thanks for clarifying. Was wondering about that;) Now options, options, options

Agreed. In fact it gives you a much better idea of what it would cost to land with VAT at 14% added to our shipments if you leave it at the default of 19% inc. No need to then add the 14:whistling:

Have to agree with you as well. It depends on the items being purchased and the risk associated with bringing them in. Lamps/globes obviously have a much greater chance of getting damaged in-transit. It's a matter of weighing up the risk vs cost savings I guess.

20. vatso

vatso

I do support the local market and know how much rent and and cost. How does the rest of the world survive on lower prices? Hardware should not be paying the rent it should be live stock and additives.

I only have x for my tank and can only spend that and look for the best deal
    Allot of money is going off shore and not in the shops - rather make a smaller margin but get the sales people will buy other stuff and more that's just my view on things and each to their own

Last edited: 12 Dec 2012
  21. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Nothing wrong with your views @vatso , I only have X minus the rest of the alphabet available for my glass box of sticks..... I hear people talking vertex and pacific sun and i cringe.... I am seriously considering importing my own leds from china, as there is only one supplier offering an affordable yet acceptable option to this reef bergie...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts