Interesting way of removing waste - Vodka and Bubble technique as well as DSB

Reaction score
Hi All,

I took a little page out of Mekaeel story (featured tank) and have been reading about Vodka and using a mass of fine bubbles to remove waste etc.

I found this very interesting link, well interesting reading for newbies I suppose. I was wondering if any of the more experienced guys have use the fine bubble flotation filtration approach referred to in the link below - I found most of the stuff quite interesting but would appreciate some of you more clued up guys commenting on what this chap says.

A Three Foot Square Challenge by John Laurenson - Reef Hobbyist Online Magazine

DSB Question :-

I also would like to understand if a DSB can be successfully integrated into a sump that has not been designed for it and where space is an issue. I have seen some explanations on the net about a DSB in a bucket. In my current setup I dont have space for a DSB in another tank but could find space for a DSB in a bucket, does this work or is it just a waste. DSB or not DSB in a bucket?

I have plans on building a bigger and better tank now that I have learned a bit. I saw this DSB design and was wondering if its something I should price up and have it made, or if someone has a better design or ideas?

Here's the link to the DIY DSB - would like to know if you guys think it will work?

DIY 4

Cheers

:thumbup:

Mekaeel

Reaction score
been throughthat article before,very interesting read!but should a tank have clams in it,i would personally not try that gush of bubbles as the clams may get trapped with air pockets.
A,DSB can be integrated into a sump using either baffels or just a plastic bucket with about 12-15cm of sand, plumbed to your sump.the DSB in your link seems pretty interesting.

Reaction score
I've sent the design off to a couple of places to see how much it would cost to make - will keep you posted on the outcome.

The Vodka seems to be having a good effect on water quality - been dosing for 2 days now and certainly it seems to have brightened things up but I might have had a sip or two whilst looking at the tank. :)

My side walls and front glass are all clear of green algae but the back glass has a fair amount - should I clean this off or will the Vodka eventually just starve it of NO3 and PO4 and other food?

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
I would not pump my system full of bubbles does tend to worry some corals if the air pocket gets trapped. A DSB in a bucket certainly isn't a waste of time, use an ice cream container or such fill with sand and submerge into the sump area will work out fine.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Mekaeel, polyp extension is not necessarily a good thing in all instances. I had my pumps off for an hour (Eksdom load shedding) and I have never seen polyp extension like that on my SPS

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
The increased polyp extension is the corals way of raising their arms and screaming "Get me outta here"

Reaction score
so getting back to my question

there seems to be some concensous that it might not be a bad thing - so I'm gonna try it - if it looks like the Corals "enjoyed it" then I'm planning on keeping them happy and I'll sprinkle a few bubbles over them every so often

As for the DSB - really an ice cream container in the sump - I though a DSB needed to be fairly large - hense the bucket idea. If you guys recon a ice cream container will work then I'm sure I can make some space for that.

If I were to implement a bucket outside the sump how much water must I pump through the bucket per hour?

Oh and what do I put in the bucket sea sand from Ispingo :)

Reaction score
Vodca works

Hi All,

I took a little page out of Mekaeel story (featured tank) and have been reading about Vodka and using a mass of fine bubbles to remove waste etc.

I found this very interesting link, well interesting reading for newbies I suppose. I was wondering if any of the more experienced guys have use the fine bubble flotation filtration approach referred to in the link below - I found most of the stuff quite interesting but would appreciate some of you more clued up guys commenting on what this chap says.

A Three Foot Square Challenge by John Laurenson - Reef Hobbyist Online Magazine

DSB Question :-

I also would like to understand if a DSB can be successfully integrated into a sump that has not been designed for it and where space is an issue. I have seen some explanations on the net about a DSB in a bucket. In my current setup I dont have space for a DSB in another tank but could find space for a DSB in a bucket, does this work or is it just a waste. DSB or not DSB in a bucket?

I have plans on building a bigger and better tank now that I have learned a bit. I saw this DSB design and was wondering if its something I should price up and have it made, or if someone has a better design or ideas?

Here's the link to the DIY DSB - would like to know if you guys think it will work?

DIY 4

Cheers

:thumbup:
Vodca works