Interesting Threads Being closed!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by brentv, 17 Jul 2012.

1. brentv

brentv

Hey Mods,
    Why are all the interesting threads getting closed so quick these days...:tt2:

...This Thread may self destuct in 10-9-8-7....:whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

This is a forum for reef keeping.
    Im sure there's a forum somewhere for discussing political issues or hurling insults at people. So lets rather keep this one about fish and corals, those who want to stir trouble and type nonsense posts without thinking, can go and find such forums.

4. crispin

crispin

while we are on the topic of silly threads could we please ask sponsors not to start threads unless they are ready to give infomation, the 'watch this space', 'comming soon' etc threads are extremly frustrating and lead down a pointless guessing game for a week or two before actually having much vallue.

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

@crispin, Watch this thread soon too! :p

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. shaunn

shaunn

@crispin, Watch this thread soon too!

7. Jayceew

Jayceew

I agree, I play this game with my 4 year old son and even he gets bored with it after about 10 seconds...understand your client base guys...

8. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

You do realise that what started this mess was someone trying to educate himself and get good advice. He was then threatened and attacked. If you didn't want discussions like this then you should have nipped it in the bud right there and then, deleted the post and immediately banned the offender.

Now that it's all in the open we might as well discuss it at length, because it's come to light that certain people are already making moves behind our back that could very well affect all of us in the near future. Pushing it under the carpet at this stage is only going to be counterproductive.

9. 459b

The problem is that people are commenting based on speculation without knowing the facts nor the laws controlling the hobby. Unfortunately in this instance the 'offender' didnt respond as timely as members would have liked and things got out of a hand a little quickly. Its not that its been swept under the carpet, think people need to step back for a second and think before posting (or jumping on the bandwagon) and then only post on actual facts, not things they think might happen.

10. Jayceew

Jayceew

@459b

It's not just about fish and corals it's about the hobby, the hobby entails the physical "thing" that stands in the lounge as well as everything else external that impacts on this hobby such as the politics. I realise you are a mod and are allowed to close threads at your discretion but it seems like you are favouring a specific person thus pretecting them by closing threads a ssoon as we start discussing the reasons behind the reasons.

Viper suggested on another thread that we should close that thread and start new threads to discuss all of the additional intricaciessurrounding the original thread, so please, the mods then also need to align their stance.

Look at a countries politics, by sweeping things under the carpet and trying to shut people up does not solve things, to stick your head in the hole does not mean the problem is gone. No, it's only brewing.

From a personal perspective only, I can say that if these threads keep on being closed without us having our say(within reason of course) will chase away some people.

Now also please dont get on the high horse, let's chat about this as friends of this hobby.

11. crispin

crispin

To be honest Ive been away for a while and missed (thankfully) the heart of the current storm but i do feel that this forum is one of the best at allowing open honest and passionate debate and that its fairly lightly moderated so long as content has value and isnt addressed at a personal level.

heaven knows Ive been on a few controversial threads in my time here, and more often than Id like to admit to, Ive been the aggressor, stating my thoughts and opinions based on what I believe is best for Live stock first and then a reefers pleasure afterwords. Ive always felt that masa keeps things out in the open and is a honest and fair platform for people to discuss the hobby and the way we keep things, all be it with fire and passion.

I truly do believe that MASA is well moderated, as in its a difficult, thankless task correctly done. (and Ive incurred the wrath of mods for years, but never unfairly)

I dint think things are getting brushed under a carpet at all, i think they are being cooled down so people can get some coffee and perspective and think before they type.

Ive decided to stay out this particular battle thats raging across a number of forums and simply enjoy my coffee.

12. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Ok fair enough, but maybe it's time for the people who are involved to state their intentions clearly so that we know what's going on. If you keep people in the dark then of course they're going to jump to conclusions. The long post by Luckyfish does anything but fill me with confidence that their intentions will be of benefit to the man on the street, and I'm sure many other people feel similarly.

13. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

I think While the hot debates at the moment are around the whole fragging, removing from the sea etc...
    I have a really ethical question to ask that also gets brought up, swept under the rug and labelled "Grey Area"

Collecting frags in Tidal Pools:

We have Tidal pools the whole way along the coast.
    What happens is before December Holidays these pools are drained, scrubbed, even chiselled clean... followed by first time they fill chemicals being included in some cases:( I see this year upon year and understand that it is done for a purpose, as they were constructed for the very same purpose, swimming
    Then from then they are left the entire year to grow Corals, LPS,SPS, softies, zoas etc, and trust me in these pools you can dive in a barren landscape and after a few months of spores, planktonic coral larvaes settling we have quick growth!
    My Dilemma is do we as a community not have options on a specific collecting regime for these man made areas as they have a few different set of circumstances?

14. 459b

Threads get closed when people get too caught up in emotion and debates turn into lynch mobs. Im not protecting/favouring anyone. If a thread starts turning ugly, and people cant have decent constructive debates and listen to both sides of the story, then it must get closed.
    The other thread was left open for so long to give the other side of the story a chance to respond.

15. 2balive

2balive

Naa, good marketing. Thinking of starting my own coming soon "For Sale" thread for the garage sale I am going to have on all my stored equipment when I move at the end of August. (Watch this space ;) )

Recent Posts