Interesting read on "dead" rock

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Tremayn, 29 Mar 2011.

1. Tremayn

Tremayn

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I have read this. He says buying mostly dead rock as it minimises the chances of hitch hikers.

4. Boegie

Boegie

Fantastic, thanks. I got a piece of live rock in a bucket with a crab that I just cannot remove. And I don't want it in my sump either because I got some frags there. This now give me the idea to leave the rock out of water.

5. ernst

ernst

I don't see the use killing of all the beneficial bacteria from the rock just because somewhere something might be hiding. I mean losing all the bacteria and the "liveliness" of the rock only to find some aptaisia hiding on the LR of your next coral purchase.

The risk for intruders wil always be there.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i havent read the article, but i have always built my tanks rock structure up using mostly base rock and seeding it with a few pieces of select LR, its cheaper and there is less pressure to pack the structure quickly due to the rock drying out.

it takes time and some paitence but saves a tonne of cash. i actually dry my rock out inbetween builds and reweather it prior to use..

to each his own but this method works for me..

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

By using dead rock as apposed to buying live rock works out cheaper, you can work out your rock scapeing better, and you run a lower risk of intruders as you only need a small amount of live rock to seed it.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What is the point of buying dead rock, ensuring no hitchhikers, until, the first nice piece of coral that is mounted on some small liferock.
    So you need to kill all the live on that liferock? Somehow remove the nice mushroom or ricordia without hurting it?

9. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

I don't think they are saying that you must buy live rock and let it dry out. What they could be saying is that you should buy base rock. Good quality base rock and then seed that rock with smaller pieces of live rock?

But then why bother using live rock at all? Just use a product like Prodibio to seed your live rock with the bacteria strains you want?

10. Tony

Tony

I prefer baserock because you can scape it beautifully before putting it in the tank. you cant do that with live rock without killing everything on it

11. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

A combonation is always a good idea. Place the base rock at the bottom to build the foundation of the scaping. Then use live rock on top pieces.

I prefer a ratio of 20% base rock and 80% live rock. Live rock from the ocean is much more mature and full of live than seeding base rock.

From experiance I noticed that base rock takes about 6 months before proper bacteria and live starts growing on them. Live rock from the ocean has been there for how many years... thus you have a rock with loads of life, critters and bacteria strains the way it should be.. Yes, you do get hitch hikers that are unpleasant, but hay, have you ever had a garden without weeds!? Live is not perfect, but the advantages far outweight the cons..

Just my 2c..:)

12. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Base rock is nice and cheap and it doesnt take very long for bacteria to start to live in it but it is by no means as good as good quality live rock. It would take like 2 years to be as good as live rock but the main point of live rock is for the biological filtration and base rock will have bacteria pretty soon..

So dead rock, saves you money and you have less pests tagging along. So its nice to have a couple pieces of good live rock and then to dose stability etc to speed up the seeding of the base rock.. Thats what I did..

Dont really see LFS's with dead rock though:whistling:

13. SIMS

SIMS

QT QT QT

that should make sure the coral has no pests

14. SIMS

SIMS

I have battled so long with aptasia I have taken 300kgs of rock and its sitting on my driveway waiting for my new tank.

15. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

and use a coral dip :)

16. amalick

amalick

Where to get DEADROCK

Thats exactly my problem, I have plans to extend my very healthy stable existing system to another one via a shared sump. So I definatly dont want any live rock because of all this risks it would introduce to my existing setup.

But do ya think I can find "dead rock" anywhere - NO:(

I just cant get myself to buy live rock and then kill IT

17. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Dont kill live rock. Thats just a waste. Carribsea sell boxes of dead rock. I bought dead rock from a masa member

18. amalick

amalick

1) How do you know for sure that the member (or anyone prior to him) never used copper in the system the rock was in before.

2) I will investigate the Carribsea alternative with the LFS's in Cape Town

19. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

the original owner was a mod :whistling:

20. amalick

amalick

Aha:yeahdude: - You lucky bugger you LOL

21. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

haha.. There is a reason why I only posted this after I bought the dead rock :whistling:

Recent Posts