Interesting Clam Info

Reaction score
"In nutrient poor systems these mollusks will starve to death. Some European aquarists have used and suggested feedings with nitrate solutions. Clam farmers feed controlled and dilute solutions of ammonium chloride in their culturing troughs not to grow their baby calms, but just to maintain them! modern reef aquarists have taken to experimenting with clams in refugiums as efficient living animal filters."
Quote: Reef invertebrates - Robert Fenner 2003 publication

Wow another form of LR :lol:

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
WOW! That's cool info Warr, many thanks! I saw the tiniest of clams yesterday at the LFS here in CT - just about 4cm long! I could not believe it. I am not too sure about longevity of this clam though - whether it will survive at all....
I do know that they are brilliant water filters....

Reaction score
warr - i stuck one in my nano cube - pic on my nano thread - they are fantastic to bring down nitrates i was told -i feed mine marine snow and want to get some coral frenzy for it. I am not sure about putting it in the sump though as 1. they look too good and 2. you need mh or t5's for them.

jacques - i would not personally go for something so small - 4cm is a bit small in my books - when i was researching clams i found out that with them that small - they require alot more food and a lot looking after - so more difficult to keep and higher possibility of death - i am not saying that it cannot be done but it is much harder.