Interesting Article in NY Times

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by FransSny, 24 Mar 2010.

1. FransSny

FransSny

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

Good article FransSny!

4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Great read thanks... Again the question comes to mind: "are we overharvesting the ocean?"

I read in the article the one lady states that natural occurances kill off more inverts than harvesting... Not so sure though, as on page one they state 700 000 turbo snails and 2.5mil blue legged hermits being caught!!!! I can not imagine that even global warming has that impact on a reef per year. :whistling:

I think it is important that stricter and stricter rules should be applied to harvesting from the ocean. Maybe they should issue licenses to hobbiests that want to keep certain species of LS, like sea horses etc. I think if they also restrict harvesting to seasonal times, to give the natural habitat the chance to repopulate.

Remember that if a reef supplies 2 500 000 blue legged hermits, that reef can not be stripped of every last hermit, as the reef itself needs the services of these hermits, and this can lead to scales being tipped.

I think that coral propogation and even more species being tank bread will be the way of the near future, but will it be too late by then? :(

5. ReefMaster_SA

ReefMaster_SA

wow , thats interesting

Recent Posts