Instant ocean

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by nakoma, 2 Dec 2007.

1. nakoma

nakoma

i helped my buddy today to mix instant ocean salt for his newly set up tank i mixed the salt in boiling hot water and noticed there is always a bit in the bucket left that does not want to mix i have added boiling water to it and evewn tried heating it in the microwave just s a test sg of the tank is set to 1020 just where i like it to be and everything looks ok he has no rocks in yet and no fish we are going to let this set up run for about a month or 2 without adding anything and so on i am just wondering about the bit of white stuff that stayed behind that did not want to mix with the salt i ended up throwing it away at the end but am still wondering so if anyon e has a expleantion as to why and if this is normal

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

WTF dude? Why would you boil the water??? If this is not a joke, I assume you were boiling the water to get rid of ny potential harmful microbes? This will kill some microbes, but then again few will survive the transition from salt fresh to salt water.
    Besides killing microbes (not that I think there are many in there with the levels of chlorine and chloamamine in tapwater), boiling water has some serious implications in a marine tank.
    Firstly, you are driving all the oxygen out the water, which is not too serious if you are going to mix the salt to the water with vigourous aeration.
    Secondly, I would be concerned with heavy metals being released from the kettle element. Not sure if this is a reality, but still I wonder...............
    Thirdly, (and the reason you are having white stuff in the bucket) the sollubility of calcium is severly reduced with increased temperature. The stuff in the bucket is precipitation of calcium carbonate, an insolluble form of calcium and buffer compounds. By adding more boiling water to the mix, you are intensifying the problem.

In future, use cold water and add the salt to the water, not the other way!

4. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Some good advice there irrie Ivan

5. irie ivan

Thats one R! ;) :lol:

6. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

well i never tried this ocean mix thing before always used good old natural sewater for my tanks boiling was more or less to get rid of clorine and what kettle is going to boil almost 2000 L of water lol thanks for the info i will use cold water in the future containing floride naaaa will get some deap sea water for my buddy instead

7. irie ivan

Sorry for trying to help, but would have to assume that some metal device/container/kettle was used to boil water. Also have not seen a microwave that can handle 2000 litre.
    :blushing:

8. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

You should get RO water add salt and leave a pump in it for at least 24 - 48h then use.

9. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

cool thanks for the advice we got a nice Koran Angelfish this weekend that i will give to my buddy as his first fish for his tank in a few weeks time when we start to add some fish

Recent Posts