Instant Marine salt

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Hi all

Does anybody use Instant Marine salt? Is it any good?

I used it once when the reo was out of stock. If it was cheaped I would definatly use it but it's currently about 45% more expensive...

How much can you get it for?

R160 for a 4kg box.

There's bugger all other salt in PMB apart from Instant Ocean which is R140 for 2kg :(

Hi all

Does anybody use Instant Marine salt? Is it any good?

I once considered using it - support our local industry and all that... but after analysing a sample and communicating (frustratingly :( ) with the manufacturer, I can only state that I won't use it.

Here are the results of the analyses and comparison with some other salts (and my tank water at the time):

10947dfcad184a35.jpg

Just look at the manganese and copper levels, as compared to NSW levels :nono:

Hennie

Wow, quite a nice comprehensive analysis there Hennie, thanks :thumbup:

I will give it a miss.

and THOSE were the GOOD REASONS

:nono::nono::nono:

Do NOT use it.
There's PLENTY wrong with it in general.
More wrong if you take specifics into account.

OH, don't forget 1kg produces 40L...:whistling:

Even if they shaped up..it is way too inconsistent in chemistry AND quality.

I've had bags with >5% seasand !!??!!
Others with what REALLY looked like CEMENT.Some mixed up grey, others had papier mache(!!??) in them.

Imagine skimming LITRES of junk out of recently mixed 1000l batches.

Others dissolved brilliantly, but were sorely lacking in alkalinity, Mg, Ca.
OR had excesses unwarranted for.

Oh, I might add, I started by testing from small packets, buckets. Hoping to use in my quarantine, R &D, propagation facility.

I was "TESTING" NSW before, going through about 3000L monthly.

When it seemed ''OK", I ordered 300kg, and had the SAME 300kg replaced TWICE!!

That is 900kg worth...

With persuasion of facts on my side, as Hennie's also proven, I got refunded..they didn't even bother taking the salt back either...

The same company imports Dophin, a better salt. But with Instant Marine it's SO easy to BE better.

That's why I have pursued formulating, and reformulating existing recipes to match stringent REEF ,FO, or FOWLR sytem requirements.

I've succeeded.
Doing premium/de luxe synthetic salt manufacture in REDUCED SIZE batch processing of a few tons at a time ,WITH strict QUALITY CONTROL, is NOT cheap if you factor R&D, raw material, lab costs, packaging and freight.

BTW , I couldn't find satisfactory facilties in SA to compound salt as desired.

Last edited:
Ok, that's more than enough to convince me (and anyone else) not to use this salt, thanks for the input.

So when is your first batch arriving? I liked the bags I got from you. Mixes sg as stated on the bag. No probles with Alk. Phophstes etc.

As I know, so will you...

Alfie,

Going through final discussions involving Packaging, Import regularity, availabilty of finest raw materials.

It hurts to pay $, and Euro to formulate and reformulate for we are TINY in the global market.

I think by midyear 2008?

In the mean time, I suggest stick to YOUR best salt at the mo

I once considered using it - support our local industry and all that... but after analysing a sample and communicating (frustratingly :( ) with the manufacturer, I can only state that I won't use it.

Here are the results of the analyses and comparison with some other salts (and my tank water at the time):

10947dfcad184a35.jpg

Just look at the manganese and copper levels, as compared to NSW levels :nono:

Hennie
By looking at the chart above, i am a little confuse. Which salt is good to be use ? My is Red Sea, is it ok ?

By looking at the chart above, i am a little confuse. Which salt is good to be use ? My is Red Sea, is it ok ?

Hi David,

The tests show that the Red Sea contains a rather high amount of copper, magnesium and zinc, and there certainly are better salts available on the market. Having said that, salts do vary in analyses from batch to batch, and my results are from some time ago, so your salt could look quite different at this stage.

I do feel that Tropic Marine is a better salt, though, and would certainly recommend it if it is available in your country.

Hennie

Hi David,

The tests show that the Red Sea contains a rather high amount of copper, magnesium and zinc, and there certainly are better salts available on the market. Having said that, salts do vary in analyses from batch to batch, and my results are from some time ago, so your salt could look quite different at this stage.

I do feel that Tropic Marine is a better salt, though, and would certainly recommend it if it is available in your country.

Hennie
Copper of course no good, but magnesium and zinc ? What does these 2 function ?

have to agree with obi wan here i used instant marine in my previous tank and it turned out to be a failure and yet my sytem wasnt too diff from my current set-up...my nennie got bleached after one water change!(probably very bad batch)
now i only use tropic marine...

Magnesium ??? did I say magnesium... Oops, I meant to say MANGANESE :whistling:

Sorry about that. Manganese and zink are both metals found in sea water in trace amounts, and that's how their concentrations should be in artificial sea salt as well - trace amounts...

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom