Input on idea guys

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by 4age, 23 Oct 2012.

1. 4age

4age

Hi Guys..want some input on an idea i have..so lets get to it..

last night i was lucky enough to get a tank for free from a fellow masa member (Thanks @Ayoob)

tank dimensions are 120 (L) x 500 (w) x 600 (H).

the tank was used for salt water before...but i want to plan a shallow reef tank..something nice and wide..Sooooo..

im thinkin of flippin tank on its side, removing the top pane and adding a new viewing pane..so tank will basically now be 120 x 60 (W) by 50 (H)..water level will probably be around 45cm high...now here comes the interesting question...tank was constructed from what looks like 6mm thick glass..not sure how previous owner slep at night.lol

will my plan for a shallow reef work with that thickness glass? I can brace the tank along the top if need be..im thinking it will work coz the water level will be less than 50cm high...not sure how the width will impact on the glass tho...please help guys..i dont really wna build a new tank..looking at this for a project while i fix my big tank up..if it works i can make my 2m a fish only and have a nice shallow reef tank too:yeahdude:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Greg Bridger

Greg Bridger

As far as I know pressure is depth related not volume related so I think as long as you brace it properly I can't see you having a problem. There are a lot of guys who will be quick to tell you the glass is to thin but check how long that tank ran before you got it and it was much deeper than what you are planning.

red deacon likes this.
  4. Salie

Salie

I dont think 6mm look again it was probably 8mm

5. Salie

Salie

6. Salie

Salie

If your water level will be 450mm with 6mm glass you will be safe as the above link calculates.
    Shallow and with that idea id say go for it, Very clever.
    Dont forget to get a thread going with plenty of progress pics:thumbup:

7. Ayoob

Ayoob

No problem @4age that tank was running for sometime maybe like 3years. I doubt it is 6mm.
    Salie has hit the nail on the head, Awesome link.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the new "base" might be to thin. Another layer glass inside on top of the base, or under it should sort that out.

Does the tank have bracing inside around the old base?

9. gambit

gambit

Hi 4Age

i got some nice live rock available if u intrestd.

check out my post

10. 4age

4age Thread Starter

Ok..so I had some time on my hands today..stripped tank apart easy without chipping any glass.I'm gna have to replace sides as they won't work on tank now.will hopefully get to buy new front pane in the week then the fun starts

11. 4age

4age Thread Starter

here it goes..im busy planning the tank..have most equipment laying around at home already

Tank..​

1,2m by 50cm high x 60cm wide..black silicone. will paint back of tank black..(wanted to go for rimless but want to keep flasher wrasse etc which will jump) one hole drilled for overflow out back glass and another for return pump​

Sump will be about 60cm long..just for nitrate reactor and uplift pump​

lighting=quad 39w T5 unit and will probably add another t5 unit to tank. I also have a 150watt halide somewhere which i can use.​

uplift pump=Aquamedic OR3500​

Heater=Jager 300watt heater or 200 watt (have both)​

Protein skimmer=powerlab external skimmer with askol pump (its a spare skimmer).​

Chiller=Hailea 300​

I have a few sun sun pumps at home as well​

Thinking of going for nice LPS and Zoa Tank with not too much live rock..either a dsb in tank or no substrate at all​

Fishwise: might move my genicanthus angels to tank with my 9chromis and then add a few flasher wrasse or group of bimaculatus anthias​

what you guys think.. stripped glass and will order new front and side panes today...tank is 8mm glass..should be fine with bracing​

Last edited: 5 Jun 2013
  12. 4age

4age Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 4age

4age Thread Starter

tank has two holes drilled in what used to be the back pane. I can use this as base but dont want to have return pipe running from base...so might seal the smaller hole and use other..or drill new holes on back glass..one for overflow and one for return

will the aquamedic or3500 be sufficient for flow?

will have a thick sand bed in tank

14. 4age

4age Thread Starter

i got me a calcium reactor for tank as well..any advise on the best way to run it..should the outlet run into last chamber of sump where uplift pump is

15. 4age

4age Thread Starter

ok...so gona start on build tonight..glass is ready. I got one tube of dow corning silicone..think its the 781 black..getting the silicone tool after work to make sure tank comes out neat...will start construction later..im only doing the one side today so the one tube should be enough for now.will post pics when im done

16. 4age

4age Thread Starter

tank build didnt go ahead last night as i went to collect some dry rock for tank...i want to go for specific type of scaping hopefully..here is the type of look i want to go for..already have the aragonite..decided that im going to go for white aragonite which will give good clean look..the idea to not to have the tank crammed full of live rock but to have open spaces between the island with maybe a few smaller pieces of rock laying around with corals on as well..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 4age

4age Thread Starter

in terms of the sump..i have an area of about 120cm by 60cm of space under tank where i wna try to fit everything...tank will have external skimmer, chiller, and will run calcium reactor..not sure how im gona fit it all..thinking of using a sump that will be 70cm long, 30wide and 35high..will have some live rock, orca cubes and phospate remover in...i will have seperate small tank as reservoir for ro water..i will have to do proper planning to find the best way forward.

18. Ayoob

Ayoob

Looking forward to see pics

19. 4age

4age Thread Starter

ok..time for some pics..i have about 30kg of live rock to play around with..not going to use all so once i have selected my pieces and done scaping i will have to sell the rest..went with dry live rock as less chance of bringing crabs etc into tank..rock is a mixture of fiji kenya and tonga rock..im not a big fan of tonga rock..but im sure it can help by keeping rock off substrate to allow flow underneath

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

i like the pics above.. if u can get close to that... well my friend.. that will be something to behold..!
    i love the thistle coral.. such vivid colours!

21. 4age

4age Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Recent Posts