informaion required for marine tank, fish/corals

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by josejenny, 2 Jan 2013.

1. josejenny

josejenny

Hi all, i have a 800 liter marine aquarium and i would like to know the following, do i run a UV sterilizer light continuous or not, activated carbon reactor continuous or not.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi, UV sterilisers are one of those "should I or shouldn't I" items, some people run them and swear by them, other people don't run them and swear at them.:p Personally I don't like the fact that they are indiscriminate in what they kill, they are very efficient and therefore kill the nasties as well as the good organisms, I used to run one, but could never really see the benefit of it, so haven't run one for years and doubt I ever will again, they are good for things like quarantine setups or shops to treat the fish in their holding tanks. Choice is yours really. If you already have one then perhaps run it 12 hours on 12 hours off.

Carbon is a good thing to run if you can afford it, but it does need to be replaced every 3 to 4 weeks so it can become quite an expense as the stuff is not cheap. I would always run it continuously.

4. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

I agree they are excellent in killing all good and bad bacteria and pods.They work excellent for a quarantine tank to kill all diseases that's in the water.But in a reef system I wouldn't recommend it.

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    josejenny likes this.
  6. josejenny

josejenny Thread Starter

Thank you that settles it then, tell me once you started up the system, ive just recently,redesigned my rock display after a failed and not such a successful first attempt, how long before you see the tank starting to get calcarerous algae and how do i encourage it, or must i just relax and adapt the patience method

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi,
    I run my uv 24/7, carbon as well and change it monthly, 1ml per liter, I don't put it in a reactor as it causes it to break up

For coralline to how you need I have your Ca and mg levels right, there is a thread here somewhere about it, personally I hate the stuff

Recent Posts