Info on kalkwasser reactor

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Johan van Aardt, 1 Mar 2010.

1. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

Guys can anyone explain the workings behind a kalkwasser reactor, i know how a calcium reactor works but it seems like my new tank wont have space for one so im rather thinking of a kalkwasser reactor. But cant find exactly how it works.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. inflames

inflames

Tagging...

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Ok, i am NO expert on this but am planning to use this method on my new tank so am slowly reading up on the method..... Any guru's out there please help out with a more technical explanation if you can .....

The Way i Inderstand it is as follows

you have a "reactor" for sorts.... a sealed pvc tube works just fine.
    as water evaporates from your DT, your float switch is activated to the on position
    this pumps water from your RO resivour to the Reactor chamber
    the water enters at the bottom of the reactor.
    as this "new" water enters, it displaces old water which exits at the top of the chamber
    the chamber has kalkwasser powder added to it.... there is a layer of this kalkwasser at the base of the chamber...
    All the calcium that can go into solution is disolved into solution (the layer left behind is the calcium that cant be disolved)
    As new water enters the reactor at the bottom, it is saturated with calcium, the water exiting the top which is full of calcium provides calcium to the tank.
    most reactors have a recirculating pump that turns on once or twice a day for a min or two to stir everything up and make sure the water is calcium saturated.

Well that is how i understand it anyway !

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Spot on there Neil!

6. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Spot on...
    I would add that there efficient ways to use kalkwasser:
    1.Dose during lights off as it stabilises kH preventing pH swing that occurs at night. Top up can operate on timer that works during lights off cycle.
    2. If refugium or ats is used then no need for night time only dosing
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. keyaam

keyaam

I used option 2.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Can also put the kalkwasser circulation pump on the same power that drivesyour ATU pump. Just ensure that your ATU switches are very close together and that you do not fill a lot of RO at the same time. Just check the tube. The kalk white cloud will rice and should not reach the top.

Also ensure that your syphon breaks are working. Both from ATU pump to kalkwasser unit, and in reverse. Also the kalkwasser outlet pipe should be above water level, so it does not suck water up there, via the unit back to your ATU chamber.

9. aslam

aslam

Just to add to Riaan's post,a non return valve can be placed on the tube enterring the reactor,so kalk water cannot flow back into your ato chamber.It is advisable to let the kalkmix stir in the reactor for 1 min every 3 hours.This is what I do.

10. Trev

Trev

Ok so this is the only reason that a Kalkreactor isnt just a glorified ATU with kalk mix in it.............but then nwhat if you add a recirculating pump to your ATU and had Kalk in there wouldnt it be the same thing or even more a 2 in 1 ?

Trev

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Can be done, think NeilH run his system like that for a while. Then just ensure that the ATU pump is not at the bottom so that it suck up the kalk sludge. Also ensure that you never empties your ATU too much. Other issues are the build up of kalk.

Can maybe ask NeilH to comment on this option...

12. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Interesting just tagging along:whistling:

13. Trev

Trev

Yeah but Riaan if you were to put a recitculating pump inside the ATU the there should be no issue with kalk buildup. Anyways I dont use kalk I use Calcium Chloride is there a reason why most of you guys are still using kalk besides the ph and phosphate bonus?

Trev

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Just know that the circulation pump can not run 24/7 in the kalk slurry. It will grind away the impeller too quickly.

Never run mine like this. Let somebody who done it like this, or still is doing it this way rather comment on any positive or negative issues with a setup where kalkstirrer chamber and ATU chamber are combined into one.

15. Nanoriffcube

Nanoriffcube look on my Blog

here a Link from a new Produkt
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/11877164"]KW Reactor 300 by two little fishies on Vimeo[/ame]

16. Trev

Trev

Very true Riaan and then if you dont run the pump enough it will block up aswell. Quinton Hoole runs this type of settup if I rem correctly but I dont think he is running a recirculating pump

17. vatso

vatso

does this not look just like the video above? I use one with my auto top up pump which stirs all in one. Use a REEF OCTOPUS PHOSPHATE REACTOR

[​IMG]

18. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt Thread Starter I love marines [R.I.P.]

Thanx for all thd idees guys, if i had a normal mixed reef what would be better, kalkwasser reactor, calcium reactor or manual dosing? Bear in mind i hate dosing things every day but if i need too i will dose extra stuff.

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Vatso, this will work, only if you do very small quantities of top-up in one go. You do not want to push the white cloud out the top, only saturated water. So pump must only be on for a very short time, just enough to push the clear water out the top, then it should stop, long enough for the cloud to settle again.

This unit is better for a phosphate or carbon unit. Rather use it for that.

20. vatso

vatso

I use a RO pump which pumps around 25ltrs per hour.

The chamber has kalkwasser in it and when the tank needs to be topped up the switch starts the pump the tank which needs very little water to top up Like 1 - 2 ltrs at a time every few hours

It works like a bomb!

Below is a picture you can see the pump next to the chamber, as well the water is well mixed, RO top up water is connected to a 20ltr bucket so no worries of over flowing / filling the system

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 May 2010
  21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Cool Vatso,

But if anybody else needs to setup a kalkwasser unit. Prices from one of our online sponsors.

Units with 140mm diameter
    Kalkwasser unit R2279 (with OTP-500 pump)
    Phosphate reactor R2032

Units with 100mm diameter
    Kalkwasser unit R1954 (with OTP-500 pump)
    Phosphate reactor R1394

OTP-500 pump on its own, R234

Well, on the 100mm unit, it might be worthwhile to use the phosphate reactor as a kalkstirrer. But not on the 140mm unit. Rather get the right item.

My opinion, I rather use the unit for what it was designed for. But if you do have one in the closet, doing nothing, yes go for it.

Recent Posts