Info needed on tank changes

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by xtreme, 16 Dec 2010.

1. xtreme

xtreme

Hi guys

Ok for this up coming week end I need to move stuff around

1. 250L holding tank in garage with MH unit
    2. Dad's picture tank
    3. Wife's tank

dad's tank cycled from 27 October and all in check accept the Nitrates is 35ppm
    and PO4 0.003ppm, about 3 weeks ago I moved my trigger,mono's and eel to his tank, needed there old tank for fresh water fish.

wife's tank now in 2nd week of cycling and all in check accept Nitrite and Nitrates
    all is new in the tank accept the water, cycle it with old water to give it a nice boost.

Ok so what I need to do is to get the fish out of his tank and fit the MH unit and get it to cycle another week so I can start moving some corals to his tank, but have no place to move the fish too, so was thinking of moving the fish to the holding tank but where will I put the corals for a week to cycle his tank.

Now is it possible to remove all the new LR and water from my wife's tank and put the holding tank LR in there and the water? The DSB is still new and the substrate in DT is also new and maybe just do 20% water changes every weekend and dose with bacteria?

The sort version:

1. remove LR and water from Wife's tank
    2. put the LR, water, corals and fish in wife's tank from holding tank with a 20% water change and dose bacteria.
    3. remove fish from dad's tank and put in holding tank with level adjusted with his tank water (and there will still be cured LR left in Holding tank)
    4.Fill dad's tank with new water to replace the water that was moved.

will this be possible?

Thanks in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

If you didn't read the fine print lol the wife's tank is still new.

Oh well 150Ltrs salt water are mixing as I type

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

which tanks are you moving? All three?

5. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

lol 459b

need to move the corals and fish around you can call it "tank swap"

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You are going to be extremely busy.

Just something, Although we say we cycle a tanks water, what we are doing is not cycling the water, but the live rock. Yes, there are some live in the water, but the live we want, is in the rock. That is why you can even do a 50% water change. But not a 50% new live rock change. So as long as the rock is cycled, that is what you want.

You can swop the stuf from one tank to another. Its like a tank move when you move house. Just keep the rock submerged. And yes, taking it out for a few seconds can kill some sponges. But not all the live on it, So yeah, you will kill some live, but not a lot. Lift the rock, and dump it directly in another holding container or big cooler box.

Only problem is the sumps, or more your DSB's. They might have a hard time catching up to the sudden bio-load changes.

I moved all my live rock, corals fish out of my 240L today. Removed the tank and stand. And put a 350L tank and stand in place. Put all the live stock back with 140L new fresh water. Started at 2 completed at 6. So 4 hours. Still need to re-do my rockscaping tommorrow as I could not see what I was doing.

7. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

haha Riaan, you can lend a hand then.

The LR is cured, so no worries there. DSB, well that is new, on the other hand the holding tank was running with out one, did 50% water changes every week since I got the corals and run purigen, phos remover, hang on skimmer, heater and 4 sunsun pumps in that tank. Will be dosing bacteria for the next month with every weekend water changes.

Good luck with yours, will look at the new pics when you put them on.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

well, yes,I will help, if I can get to Swakopmund tomorrow.

Just one warning, keep an eye on your skimmer after the move. Its over-reacting due to the junk that is stirred up in your tank. Mine just filled up and pushed bubbles out the top.

I have to drink 2 glasses of water before I go to sleep. So that I have to get up during the night to empty myself and the cup again.

9. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

well started this morning to empty wife's tank then moved it to different area in the house, move coral from holding tank to my one day frag tank. Starting to fill wife's tank with holding tanks water and put the cured LR in there, was a bit cloudy so had to do scaping in stages. Finaly finished scaping I see some water behind the tank, yip pushed the tank to hard against the wall and the one fitting start to drip, well empty the tank again fix the problem and fill it back up, then run it for 2hrs and starting to move corals over and diped them first in coral rx to get rid of the flat worms, dosing the tank with seachem stability.

I don't have a lot of corals but believe me was it difficult to get corals in there.
    The problem
    Tank to high, so need to get LR up higher for SPS
    Tank not wide enought, needed to stag LR straight up like a wall with almost no slopes

Well it is running for now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

looks like the coral RX killed my fox coral, falling appart

Well tomorrow start to fill holding tank with "the picture tank"s water to move fish over.

the whole day till 18:00 for a 130L tank wow, how long will the others take me tomorrow.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Watch your skimmer tonight. It can flood the cup. Happened to me last night.

11. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

hahahaha, my water is cleaner than yours, also a small tank with a TS1. Empty it 2 times yesterday. This morning a half cup green sludge

12. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

Ok did some water testing today on the wife's tank
    To lazy to move the other tanks:p will do tomorrow

Here goes

SG 1.026
    Temp 28
    pH 8.2
    KH 10.9
    Alk 3.89 ppm
    NH4 0
    NO2 0.1 ppm