Individual Reflectors VS 1 Large Reflector

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ziyaadb, 6 May 2010.

1. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

I am in the process of making my Lighting unit 8*54W T5 and alanod(92% reflective, mirror finish - its the best they have) is the route i am going in regards to the reflector/s. What i want to know is how much of a difference will it make if i make individual reflectors compared to just 1 large reflector for the lighting.
    As 1 large reflector will be much easier to make

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. PeterL

PeterL

Much of the light behind the 6 middle globes will disperse behind the other globes opposed to being reflected back to the water if you use a single reflector, individual reflectors is definately a must if you wish to utilise as much of the light omitted as possible.

Remember a T5 globe is round, it doesn't only supply light directly up and down, so the light sent out sideways and upward needs to be reflected toward the tank.

I hope this hepled with better understanding for you to make a decision to chose the method which suits you best.

ziyaadb likes this.
  4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

I have read somewhere that without reflectors we would loose more that 50% of the light, with one big reflector we waste up to 30% of the available light .... so for my 2c individual reflectors are an absolute must ! !!

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

choice depends on depth of tank and shape of individual reflectors and the overlap of light.. if tank is too shallow or overlap is not enough you will get linear light in tank where actinic or white is predominant. if shallow go one larger reflector if deeper u have more choice

6. Curvball

Curvball

Individual reflectors - otherwise you're just wasting your time IMHO.

I would even suggest buying the so called SLR reflectors - they have been designed to ensure pretty much all the light created by each T5 tube is directed down into your tank.

If you're going to do this, do it right and that way you can benefit from the T5's over your tank.

...and don't forget to include some form of active cooling to help get even more from your T5 unit;)

7. aslam

aslam

Hello Cerwin,do you perhap's have a link for the reflectors.Any idea if they are available in South Africa.

8. Curvball

Curvball

I'm really not sure what is available in SA, but it might even pay you to buy some reflectors from vendors in Europe and have them shipped over.

Basically the reflectors are 'gullwing shaped' or dual 'U' shaped. Idea is that this shape pulls the light reflectors upwards from the tube down and around the lamp and into your tank.

I was going down the DIY route originally for a 6 x 24w T5 unit (now waiting on a customised ATI powermodule:D) and found a nice selection of reflectors here.

Alternatively, you could speak to the SA ATI dealer (ATI is imported into SA right?) and see if they can get you some of the ATI reflectors.
    Other's to consider are the IceCap reflectors - again you'd have to import them.

I know AquaMedic is well supported in SA, perhaps you could try their T5 reflectors?

Either way, just using a basic reflector for each single tube (made out of polished alumimiun) will go a long way in boosting the performance of the lamps.

Perhaps ReefInmates could help ya out too?

Good luck with the T5 unit. :thumbup:

9. Dane

Dane

Doesnt SLR just stand for Single Light Reflector? Ie: any single tube reflector...?

10. Curvball

Curvball

As far as I know, the US guys use the term SLR - Single Lamp Reflector :)

11. Dane

Dane

Lol, sorry thats what I meant ;-) Its 2am and writing up a research proposal on restoration and ecosystem services is obviously mucking my brain up!

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

At a "LFS" (kind off like Dorry - somewhere in Norway)
    I saw on two similar tanks, two different lights units in place. Same type of globes. First unit was a 6 tube single reflector. Other a 4 tube individual reflector. The 4 tube was far better than the 6 tube, brighter more intense. And the softies in the 4 tube tank looked better than the 6 tube tank.

13. aslam

aslam

Hi,thank's for the link and response.I have orderred a reefinmates t5 light unit which is in production at present.Will look into the Ati reflector's as their t5 light units are exceptional.Thank's.

Recent Posts