Incredible survival story.

Mc

Reaction score
Just thought I would share this with you as it is quite amazing how these fish survived.

A friend of mine moved into a flat that his sister had been staying in, as after she got devorced she was too busy to clean the place and moved back in with her mom. In the flat she left a fish tank that used to belong to her husband.
Since he moved out six months ago the tank hasn't been cleaned at all.:(
So he called me and asked to come around and have a look, and help him sort it out.

The tank is a 250L tank with three large oscars in it they have been over fed and the tank looked like and smelled like a drain pipe, the canister filter was disgusting and the fish looked like they were about to die.

We done a massive clean out and the fish survived and a week later are looking much better and swimming around again.

Heres the crazy part.
The nitrate were zero the nitrites were zero and the ammonia was of the chart. Over 10mg/l :eek: in my tank this test has never measured over 0.010.

20121031125722.jpg

Wow.

Freshwater fish are much hardier than people think.

I once scooped out all of my fish that i had in a 2 foot to move to a bigger tank. I thought i scooped out every fish but one baby pink convict hid between the pebbles, about a month later i took the tank off the shelve it stood on and saw the fish and he was alive and also grew bigger. He lived in about 5cm of water.

He is now fully grown and mating with 2 females regularly.

Another one, when i just started with fish keeping i had a undergravel filter, 'I know it's the worst thing to use but didn't know back then', and one guppy fry got it's way under the undergravel filter. About 3 months later I removed the filter and saw that the guppy was full grown and had the most beautiful colours, somehow he got food that had fallen between the grooves of the undergravel filter.

He also went on to live a perfectly long life, i still have some of his children's children.

It is amazing.
I once had a gourami go missing for a few months.
One day I was painting and moved the cabinet foward, I saw it trapped under a long airstone.
I took the airstone out thinking it was dead and it swam out and after swimming on its side for a few days it was back to 100%.

amazing, had a similar situation with a gold fish a few months back, tank that was home to the gold fish broke and i had nowhere to put it at the time, dropped him in my Marine tank for 5 minutes while i sorted some fresh water out in a jug with some prime. still happy chappy. :)

Back
Top Bottom