Increasing Phosphates

Manic

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know this is a weird question but I need to increase my phosphates. I tested my water today and my nitrates are 5 but my phosphates are below 0.1. In order to decrease my nitrates I need to increase my phosphate level, with using the zeo method you can't decrease nitrates without the presence of phosphates. Is there any way to do this?

Firstly, what kit are you using to measure your parameters. Not many are very accurate.
Secondly you have enough PO4 to get your nitrates to 0 as these two do not work on a one to one basis.
Thirdly If your po4 is 0.01 your job is going well and you really should not worry about 5ppm of nitrate. Thats nothing. some propagation guys add nitrates to get to about 10ppm to keep their corals happy.

0.1 or 0.01? I would not trust any kits tbh - my one ric tank has 0.02 Po4 and >2No3 and nothing I do increases these - guess the rics are using it all up...

I would agree with bob 100% regarding the N to P ratio... and yes, even nitrates of 5ppm is fine to keep sps happy and colourful. Your tank is still fairly new, so I wouldnt be stressing too much- another week or two and those nitrates should drop some more.

I really cant stand any phos test kits- all woefully inadequate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom