in the beginning

Discussion in 'New Members' started by scott roebuck, 17 Jul 2013.

1. scott roebuck

scott roebuck

hi all

i am starting a 3 foot 185 ltr marine tank and the more i am reading up about it the more i realise i might have bitten off more than i can chew. i have been keeping fresh water tanks for years and a marine tank has always been a dream of mine so i thought no better time than the present to get started. i have been cycling the tank for a week and have put in some uncured rock . i am just turning the water at the moment and getting as much oxygen in the water as possible. i put 2 mollies in yesterday apparently helping the cycle process. i have got a bubble magus q3 but it is not running yet. i have converted a fresh water tank so i have got a pump and not a sump which i believe is better but the pump is turning the tank about 4 times an hour.i havnt done anything as far as lights go yet and will soon take the tank lid in to animal kingdom to modify it to take four lights (recommended by pet shop guy ) i have been told to cycle the tank for four to 5 weeks before taking in a water sample and then take it from there. as exciting as it is it is also intimidating to read about how much is required and how easily things could go wrong anyway im looking forward to the challenge . . . . . . bring it on!!!!!!!!

nice to meet you all

scotty:yeahdude:

Last edited: 17 Jul 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Welcome to MASA...can you remove the Mollies..:blush:...we don't encourage speeding up a "cycle" with Live Stock...it's just a bit cruel...there are many other ways of speeding up the process..The PetShop was correct in saying that the cycle would be about 4 - 5 weeks...which surprises me that he still gave the advise about the Mollies...MASA is loaded with info...the Beginners section is a good spot to start...Enjoy...:thumbup:

4. scott roebuck

scott roebuck Thread Starter

oops i see ok im gonna take them back just now . cool i will check out the beginners threads thanks

5. Zuna

Zuna

the guys at animal kingdom are not the best people to be taking advise from.
    have you seen the state of their tanks

6. scott roebuck

scott roebuck Thread Starter

I have been getting advice from the guys at lifestyle aswell is there any other places you recommend I go to get advice and buy rock coral and fish?

7. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

These are our Sponsors..you can go thru them and see which is the closest..I have to add that these are ALL the Sponsors...so you'r looking at KZN..DBN..etc..:p
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67
    There are a few who are not Sponsors...so you might get a few Private Messages with their names...as we don't advertise Non-Sponsors..:)

PS...this is a good starting point and should start you on you'r way...:)

Most Important..."THE CYCLE"...
    Marine Aquarium Cycle - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Water Parameters
    Ideal Water Parameters - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    What to test for and why - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Livestock...
    Your First Marine Invertebrates - Choosing a Clean up crew - CUC - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Easy Soft Corals For Your Reef Tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Your First Hard Corals: LPS Hard Corals - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

8. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

hi and :welcometomasa2: to MASA Scott

this is a great hobby that i think is so addictive that i bet you'll be converting all your fresh water tanks to marine very soon... trust me i know :)

follow the good advise you gonna get from the sponsors and members of MASA and with a bit of patience in few month you'll have a splendid tank

9. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

oh and by the way post as many pics as you can .... more pics = more advice :p

10. Bonehead

Bonehead

Good luck scott. These forums have helped me through many dark days, so dont despair. There are very knowledgable guys on here

11. the fish

the fish

masahello

i work here at Lifestyle pets. my office is down stair by the office park. you are more than welcome to come see me and we could walk up to lifestyle pets. are you refering to Animal Kingdom there close to Hillfox perhaps? they had some nice livestock not to long ago. only thing that worries me a bit is that they looked a bit stressed. you can also try the guys at Jungle Aquatics. Bryan is a very nice guy and always goes out of his way to help people.

12. Hails

Hails

Welcome and wait for it... Scotty doesn't know :p Wild on Pets is down the road from me in Modderfontein, Idol Marine is close to Allendale Rd, but we all have our preferred lfs.

13. 3dd

3dd

Wecome scott and good luck with the tank

The most important thing I learnt is too not rush anything
    - the longer you cycle the tank, the better (You ensure the cycle is complete).
    - The slower you stock the tank the better (you ensure the biological filtration can cope with the stock)
    - The longer you wait for corals the better (You have more time too ensure parameters are stable).

So please take your time with the tank, in the long run it'll be worth the wait

Recent Posts