In Display DSB, Pro's and Con's

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by RiaanP, 3 Aug 2010.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Again, a topic that is sometimes touched, but not completely discussed in terms of Pro's and Con's.

Again, before I give my opinion, please go ahead, and give your reasons for and against.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Would be disturbed and takes up viewing space, thats all i got :)

4. chikaboo

chikaboo

For me I got alot of wrasses and gobies so it more to make them feel at home ..... but I think like how you can add to water volumes by incorperating other water containers and getting more stable water parameters ... so can this be achieved by increasing the amount of surface area for your beneficial gogga's to live in ..... Also I am yet to to find a natural sea with "bare bottom" and all life there thriving.....

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Seems that not a lot of people want to comment anything here.

But anyway, here is my opinions.

A lot of remote DSB (sump DSB) are normally too small. To be of any real benefit.
    check out Sihaya interseting article posted
    Finally! Choosing Substrate Article - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Interesting part out of that is the remark on DSB footprint.
    So what I'm implying, is that an intank DSB will greatly increase the total DSB size.

On deep tanks only, this is a great way to lift your rocks and corals another 15cm closer to the lights. Also the life in the sand will form part of the display. OK, issues here is that you must be sure that the liverock stack is stable and supported. And no gobies can dig under and cause rockfalls.

It is a hell of a lot of playsand too wash... :(. Monday I will be soo stiff...

Must get a way to ensure that nothing can dig too deep. Large piece of eggcrate at 10cm, with another 5cm layer on top might work. Then rocks have a stable base (foundation). Nothing can dig into the anearobic area.

Increase in total weight of your system. How good is your stand welding...

Anything else?

Last edited: 4 Aug 2010
  6. Sentari

Sentari

Hi Riaan

I've been thinking about doing a deep tank at some stage but compensating for the amount of sand.

Also been wondering if there's anything bad about a in tank DSB.

Nothing to comment so i'll just tag along

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Cons:
    u will have a dirt trap and no way of quickly removing it when u want to.

8. Tidy

Tidy

Hi guy i am new no tank yet.
    I was planning on putting a DSB below but the size would be almost the same as the tank.

check this link out Live Rock

think that is a good idear?

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

check your dimensions again. By the time you got your skimmer fitted into the first chamber, and your return pump into the last, you would have used at least 1/3 of your sump.
    Also make return chamber big enough, to one day put a phospate reactor in there as well.

And the Live rock stand is a good idea, but in lifting your stack higher to the lights, I would not have fitted the top shelf, if it was my system. In that design water blow out sideways under shelf. But water will not wash out between rock and shelf, that is still a dead area. Rather have the live rock directly on the stands, so it is more open underneath. But now this discussion should not be in this thread.

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Pros:

• It looks more natural.
    • Because it looks (is) more natural, your fish will be calmer/more tame, and will look better and perhaps even live longer (less stress).
    • Unless your RDSB is in a very large container, the surface area (and thus filtration capability) will be much higher in the tank DLSB.
    • There will be more food available to your livestock, especially at night (when corals normally eat).
    • It is easily the BEST filtration system you can have, and the cheapest too (if you do not buy the ridiculously expensive "aragonite" sand, which really is not necessary...)
    Cons:

• Places a much greater restriction on the type and number of sand predator animals you can keep in the tank (such as most wrasses) as they will kill off your sand-living goggas.
    • Requires more careful planning & positioning of water flow through the tank, especially in high-flow SPS tanks, as the sand can be moved around by the water flow (sand storms in a tank are not good...).
    • It can become a nutrient sink if the system is overloaded, and/or the organisms living in the sand becomes extinct due to predation or unsuitable conditions (although my DLSB has been going for many years without any problems...)
    Hennie

Recent Posts