Improving benefits of waterchanges

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mandarinman, 9 Jan 2014.

1. mandarinman

mandarinman

If one just removes a percentage of water and replaces it then yes a waterchange would lose the battle against exporting of nutrients etc. However if you syphon your substrate, clean glass and syphon your liverock at the sam time the benefits of the waterchange is multiplied exponentially.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

not really, i do all that without a water change, i siphon to my sump and use a low micron filter

4. Fred d

Fred d

yes you remove the unwanted particles but what about the micro organisms you suck up out of the substrate ect.

5. Baz

Baz

This is something kind of puzzling to me now that you mention it. In the FW game everyone preaches this and the benefits speak for themselves. But why is this not common practice for the marine guys? Coming from FW I did this on a weekly basis with 50% WC weekly and I never even once cleaned my filter in 7 months of running. The day I shut down my FW cube my filter was clean as a whistle. And no I did not clean my filter media etc.

Vacuuming the substrate disrupts/releases gas buildup with fine substrates and removes fine detritus etc. So I fully agree that this should be common practice. But why isn't it in the marine hobby?

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Me too. @GTH helped me last week. Used two filters kept my water. The water that was siphoned full of dentritus wasn't even dirty. Back into sump, where I kept my skimmer running. After it was done, I opened the returns and bobs your aunty.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. mandarinman

mandarinman Thread Starter

Us guys who have access to free nsw like to do waterchanges as it replenishes micronutrients for free. Also the arguement against waterchanges to reduce nutrients has been argued from the point of the nutrient content of the water and not from the point of removing nutrient rich detritis. I am advocating vacuuming at the same time as doing waterchanges to improve the benefits and remove higher amounts of nutrients and potential nutrients.

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Which ones? Bacteria? Bacteria are plentiful. Amhipods breed quite rapidly, micro brittle stars hide in your rocks or under them. When I cleaned out my socks, I found only a few amphipods.

9. Fred d

Fred d

and your pod population ... not to mention all the living organisms smaller than them ... how would vacuuming the surface affect these

10. mandarinman

They reproduce

11. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

what happened to filter socks robbing the system of nutrients? now you want to export via syphon, isn't that just more work? why not add the filter sock first and the see? if you have enough flow you wont have settled detritus

Last edited: 9 Jan 2014
  12. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Some will settle behind the lee sides of rocks as small vortices happen. It's difficult tp keep a system dentritus free. However, filter socks are great. Just need a live in slave to change and wash mine.

13. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Which ever way one removes detritus it can only be good for your system

14. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

15. mandarinman

There will always be detritis no matter what you have running in your tank. This is todays thought for consideration as filter socks are a consideration

16. mandarinman

I feel if you are doing waterchanges make the most of them by syphoning too!

17. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Filter socks will definitely help with detritus removal. You should see what my filter socks after 2-3 days

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

OK, I moved a small 80L nano the other day. Siphoned all the substrate out first with a 15mm flexible hose into a big drum. Damn, should have seen all the brown soup that came out of that.

Dumped the dirty water. Added more water. Stirred it up again to get more crap released. Dumped that dirty water again. Added the substrate back to the tank using a plastic cup. Tank did not go that murky as I would expect.

Did I loose micro organisms... Yeah surely did.

Does the tank look better. WOW. it does.

Do the tank have enough flow in the first place to get all the crap down the overflow. Well 2 * Seio's, the small ones, plus a MP10.

Did the corals react to the new water. Should have seen them, the mushrooms sucking as much water into their stems that they looks more like toadstools.

19. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Why not use a canister filter to clean up the detritus that way it's getting filtered through sponges. Yes it's a shlep but at least you not doing a WC...

20. mandarinman

SHMAAAK this post !

21. mandarinman

Haha sounds like you would rather waste electricity than trot to get some free saltwater. Lmao

Recent Posts