Improved Living Custom LED Club

It was a package put together , the person kept replacing parts and aventually gave up hope and quited the hobby due to issues . I then picked it up , did some changes the keep the leds cooler . It was 35 leds if im not mistaken

However i hear loads of people thats very happy with it , maybe the person that did the original build messed up we will never know

Last edited:
Hi just have a few questions regarding these diy units..I have a 1,2m tank, how many leds are provided and what is the total wattage?
How would these DIY modules compare to a zetlight for example, in terms of colour reproduction and coral growth.
Could I pair it up with 2 54w t5s (due to the effect they give) or would the total lighting be too excessive.
thanks

Hi just have a few questions regarding these diy units..I have a 1,2m tank, how many leds are provided and what is the total wattage?
How would these DIY modules compare to a zetlight for example, in terms of colour reproduction and coral growth.
Could I pair it up with 2 54w t5s (due to the effect they give) or would the total lighting be too excessive.
thanks

I have 2 x 1.8m Improved Living Lights running on my system with the 8x80w ATI T5s and I must say the corals that only recieve the Led's are also growing like crazy.
Give them a call and see what they can build for you. Brands are crazy expensive when you trying to cover a large area.

thanks

53382026277db515aeef24d58b95b319.jpg

Exactly what I did. Works great and grows everything well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks

With the kit they give 70 x 3w LEDs for my 120x 50x 50. I used only 56 after adding the t5s.

With the kit they give 70 x 3w LEDs for my 120x 50x 50. I used only 56 after adding the t5s.

Awesome thanks. I see you built your own fixture, would placing the leds in an existing odysea 4*54w fixture be a good idea? Then just run two of the bulbs. Also what combination of leds did you choose to use from the kit?

Awesome thanks. I see you built your own fixture, would placing the leds in an existing odysea 4*54w fixture be a good idea? Then just run two of the bulbs. Also what combination of leds did you choose to use from the kit?

I did my first diy led from improved on a odysea quad 24w . Worked great but you will have to add cooling fans as it gets very hot and will shorten the leds life span
Was my first DIY and had no issues on this diy leds for a year
DSC_0036.JPG DSC_0039.JPG DSC_0049.JPG DSC_0052.JPG IMG-20151102-WA0033.jpg

i gave up hope with mine , drivers kept burning out every few months , controller went and then powersupply went as well , leds are good but i went back to t5 with that system
i had a similar issue with my LED on a 1.5m tank.
1 week after i revived it channel 3 died. a month later the PSU died.
on investigation, the PSU wasn't specked correctly. Imported a larger PSU and controller , and everything has been running smoothly ever since.
although, I'm not 100% sure if i set my times correctly, 8 to 10am is sun rise 0-100% 10 to 5pm is 100%, 5-8pm is sunset 100-0 (whites) then 8-10pm 100 to 0

Anyone got better setting to use?

I just ramp all of mine up over an hour in the morning and down again over an hour at night. But I’m sure there are better settings, maybe check some preprogrammed Radion or Pacific Sun settings on the web and try and replicate that? I changed a row of white with a combination of 5xUV and 10xViolet chips and the colour looks better for me personally, but I also have 2xT5’s and 3x100w hybrid royal blue/cool white Cree chips together with just the IL lights.

I just ramp all of mine up over an hour in the morning and down again over an hour at night. But I’m sure there are better settings, maybe check some preprogrammed Radion or Pacific Sun settings on the web and try and replicate that? I changed a row of white with a combination of 5xUV and 10xViolet chips and the colour looks better for me personally, but I also have 2xT5’s and 3x100w hybrid royal blue/cool white Cree chips together with just the IL lights.
Are you running these inside your stock RSM light unit?

Yeah, the colors don't "pop" as much as my other LED's, (ZET and other), that is a good idea, will give it a bash and see how it turns out.
I turned mine to max, because i thought it wasn't as strong as other brands, but i guess when my anemone moved away from the light, i should have taken it as a sign

Yeah, the colors don't "pop" as much as my other LED's, (ZET and other), that is a good idea, will give it a bash and see how it turns out.
I turned mine to max, because i thought it wasn't as strong as other brands, but i guess when my anemone moved away from the light, i should have taken it as a sign

I had just the IL kit in a Boyu TL550 and had the rbta’s bleach that was close to surface. Not sure if it was because of spectrum or intensity, but they recovered when I put them under stronger/different light.

There are 100w Cree X-TE (same type as in Radion) hybrid chips (half cool white, half royal blue) on ebay for around R400, each contains 20x5w individual chips, they pack quite a punch, nennies are doing well under a combination of them, T5’s and the IL light. The 100w chips end up costing around R1300 each including heatsink, PC fan and driver.

Hi! In October 2017 I ordered an LED unit from Improved Living. Very happy with it and got good coral growth. But since yesterday the one channel has completely died out. The problem is that it is fully closed. I checked all the wires and that is as far as my knowledge goes...

Struggling to upload photos sorry will do as soon as its sorted

image.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photo.
As you can see the whole channel is dead, sometimes it flickers for a moment and the just gone.

Where do I start?

Back
Top Bottom