Importing for personal use

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope someone can help me and give details.

How easy is it to import livestock for non-commercial trade.

Would I need permits? What is the costing? Who do I contact? and lastly is it cheaper and beneficial than getting from the LFS?

minimum volume needed. I reckon at least one box full.

Youll need all the same permits importers need, regardless of volume imported. Permits arent difficult to obtain, but there is a cost involved and can take time and frustration.
Whether or not its cheaper/beneficial, that will depend on what volume you need.

I wont have massive volumes. Just thought it would be nice to pick and choose what i want rather than waiting for it to come in.
How would I get permits etc. Or is that a google search topic?

You not importing with them, you just asking them to get you what you want. The list of available species is far more extensive than most hobbiests realise.
What exactly are you wanting to import?

You not importing with them, you just asking them to get you what you want. The list of available species is far more extensive than most hobbiests realise.
What exactly are you wanting to import?
To be honest nothing specific. Was going to 1st use the list provider by the supplier to make my wishlist. then see from there

not quiet the same question, but any ideas on importing hardware for personal use. What the restrictions are and what levels would require an importers license?

not quiet the same question, but any ideas on importing hardware for personal use. What the restrictions are and what levels would require an importers license?

No more than 3 times a year & not over 20K else your supposed to get an importers permit....They can hit you with this if you go over.
They don't seem to be too anal with it as i do more than that per year generally & haven't been hauled up for 1 but maybe i've just been lucky

Last edited:
thanks 2una, any ideas how difficult the process is to get an importers permit. I heard rumors that its just a simple form with a few days turn around an not fees?

thanks 2una, any ideas how difficult the process is to get an importers permit. I heard rumors that its just a simple form with a few days turn around an not fees?

Hi,haven't chased it so don't know

I'll let you know if I find out, if its as easy as that then its probably worth just doing the admin..

Bud be ready to have alot of extra fish. You never get 100% what you order and alot of the time even when you do theor definition of size isn't the same as yours..

Reactions: EFJ
Did you ever end up importing fish for yourself?
Honestly it just isnt worth it if you importing fish for yourself only.

After you have dealt with daff and getting permits which isnt for free. You need to find reliable suppliers. For every supplier there is 3 scammers.

After you have found a reliable supplier they will never supply only one or two boxes so you looking at 100kg min. So let's say between 115 - 150 fish. Where you going to keep that amount of fish. Oh and with the exchange rate you looking at over R35k per shipment and that's just cheap fish.

Wow. So its not as nice as it might seem

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom