Importing fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by HPS, 14 Aug 2016.

1. HPS

HPS

Good day all! Lol sorry kinda full of Q's today, im thinking of importing my own fish and corral from Bali or Vietnam to cut out petshop chargers. Can anyone here advise me on the permis and stuff needed to do so? Dont wanna do all the trouble of getting destributers willing to ship to me and i cant even get the right documentation.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You can, but being in Aliwal North, how will you ensure timely delivery to you. Imports lands at Johannesburg. Even the Gauteng stores that pick up directly from the airport do suffer dead on arrivals. Further delay to get it to Aliwal North and I doubt you will have a very high fish survival percentage.

On corals, one incorrectly listed coral, and the whole shipment gets delayed as they then double check everything.

Just saying

4. HPS

HPS Thread Starter

Jup i was thinking bout that as well, think i might try getting a flight to bloemfontein and then collect there but dont know the costs for that at the moment

5. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

It's far more to it, cities, vets certificate the list goes on. Most reputable dealers have MOQ, that's where you will find problems. It will work out far more expensive for you than to just buy your fish at an lfs, my advice is leave it to the dealers that offer the service.

Anyone willing to ship you one or 2 boxes of livestock is in it for a quick buck and you might find 90% sick and I'll treated fish, that can be a quick R15 k down the pot. Could of been better spent at your lfs.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited: 14 Aug 2016
    r0ckf1re likes this.
  6. HPS

HPS Thread Starter

Jup can be but not looking to buy that amount, looking at like 12 boxes then i think it might not be to bad, more so since its the same dealers that supplies some pet stores here. Just need to see what it is i need, like the cites for the corrals, health certificates and stuff. Cant realy find a lot of official stuff on that online.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do you know how many fish gets packed into one box?

8. HPS

HPS Thread Starter

Haha jup its alot, but thought id do it so i can help out some friends as well. And most places dont wanna ship less then 8-10 boxes. And it also depends on the tipes and sizes of fish i take as well.

9. flappy

flappy

I guess on the outside it looks pretty simple...import direct and cut out the middleman, in this case the pet shops....
    In fact it can be so complex that most Pet stores make use of local distributors themselves to cut out the red tape that goes with importing..
    So one local distributor will import say 100 boxes and supply all the pet stores in South Africa..
    Should you import yourself...do not be surprised when you open the boxes and find very different stuff to what you ordered.
    A working relationship with the exporter is very important and this ensures you get what you want...this is where the distributor comes in...by ordering a large regular amount the exporter looks after the distributor..
    The couple of boxes you might order would not even interest an exporter and if so the risks are huge for you...
    The DOA will be placed as a credit for your next shipment, which you probably wont do....you only get DOA on the fish and not the shipping which in most cases is the largest part of the price..
    Permits at this point have a 6 week lead time and you have to prove quite a bit to obtain them....tax clearance certificate,CK docs,VAT registration etc..
    Then you need to be set up to receive a large amount of fish...the required acclimation stations...quarantine stations etc...
    And this is assuming you live in a city centre...
    I would think the margins the pet shops charge is well worth saving you all this risk and bother...my 2cents worth

4age and Andre@ReefAquatics like this.
  10. HPS

HPS Thread Starter

Jup i read up on it a bit more and saw its not really worth it for unfortunately, but would've liked to get the variety that one gets when importing your own fish, the pet shops near me doesn't have all that much to choose form and that spoils the hobby for me a bit since i then cant build my tank up with all i want but rather with what i can manage to get.

11. 4age

4age

Buy from a sponsor who can ship to you

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

12. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

importing is a huge headace. sizes if fish, species that arrived vs species ordered and many doa's are to be expected..

13. Ricky W

Ricky W

Now a days most lfs ship so should always be someone to get from

14. HPS

HPS Thread Starter

Jup ill try getting a good lfs that will courier to me, but most ppl dont wana do the effort since they have enough local clients.
    Tnx all :)

15. NO3

NO3

you will pay 3-4 times what you would pay in the shops. its not as easy as it looks, ive done it 18 boxes , 400 pcs of coral and you think you have enough water but you dont. When it lands here its been in that packet for a full day including the time they start packing at the supplier, they just throw K@K in the water and turn a holding system inside out. That being said it is probably one of my favorite things to do is to receive a shipment of coral. Speak to a sponsor im sure they can send you a box direct.

Recent Posts