Importing Corals

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Dre, 7 May 2016.

1. Dre

Dre

Hi. Does anyone know where I can import some corals that would deliver to SA and has good corals at a great price? I went out to a LFS today and i cant justify paying the prices that the LFS are asking at the moment. The prices of corals have shot through the roof! R3000 for a medium frog spawn?? Are they smoking some good stuff. I could have bought that at the same store for R650 a few months ago.

Also if anyone has imported their own frags. What were your thoughts and suggestions?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. NJH

NJH

Wowser. R3000 for a frogspawn??? Which shop if I may ask? That is insane!!!

4. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

Jungle Aquatics. I always buy my corals there and the service there is brilliant. Definitely my favourite store but at those prices it's not worth it at all. I mean I couldn't buy anything under R1000 other than the smallest frags or a leather coral. I don't mind spending 2 or 3 thousand on corals at a time but I want to at least go home with a few. Not 1 or 2.

Last edited by a moderator: 8 May 2016
  5. NJH

NJH

I also like Jungle Aquatics but prices like that will kill this hobby.

6. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

I think the reason why those prices are so high is because it is TMC/MAC cultured corals. Also size makes a big difference in price and the weak rand at the moment impacting import prices.

7. NJH

NJH

But 3k for a frogspawn???

8. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

I agree 3k is pretty steep. I went on their sponsor thread and see that they have a shipment of wild colonies for sale, so I think that's why the prices are high. Maybe @bryan can give us some feedback on this. As I said we need to take in account that they import and with the week rand it can push prices up. I know Bryan do try to sell to us at their best prices and won't deliberately try to run prices up for no reason, they buy at a price and they need to put their mark-up (it's business).

Last edited: 7 May 2016
  9. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

No I agree and I'm not saying that it's Jungle Aquatics fault. I always shop there and I live in the east rand so I travel all that way. I'm just saying that due to the certain circumstances like the weak rand it will be worth importing some corals for myself.

10. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

If it was so easy I am sure a lot of us would be doing it. The problem is licences, government and customs which at the end costs a lot and is a big nuisance. We have too much red tape when it comes to importing livestock etc.

11. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

I guess so but ill try and let you guys know how it goes.

12. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Would be interesting to follow. Good luck.:thumbup1:

13. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

Cool thanks ill get in contact with them

14. 2una

2una

Dre try checking out Perky Pets in CT -They ship + they frag so prices work out more reasonable than having to buy a colony.
    The other plus is they also have some sps stock that actually shows colour.Almost fainted seeing that compared to anything i've ever seen available here in D

Perky Pets and EFJ like this.
  15. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

Great thanks ill def give them a shout

16. flappy

flappy

I have imported many times.At face value it might seem easier to import yourself and bypass the middleman, in this case the retailer, it is really not that simple.
    Besides the issues of needing to have the correct documentation etc. to import your own livestock (this would include having a permit issued by Sea fisheries,a registered Company with tax clearance certification, species lists, approval from State Vet, Cites(if required) etc.., you need to place a minimum sized order on the supplier for them to make it viable for them to ship to you. If you think R3000 is steep to spend in one go (and yes I know its for one coral as per your post but we talking about a single cash layout here) then I would think you would need at least R30k to even think about a supplier looking your way. Then you have the DOA risks (Supplier will only credit the price of the animal that is DOA and not the shipping for it. Most of the price of the landed animal is the shipping component. So to realise the credit of your animal you would have to import again...another 30K?? then practically you would need QT facilities big enough to handle a min 8 box order...acclimation facilities...So when you look at the total picture you will see it is not a practical or cost effective exercise to import yourself.

MacSakkie, dallasg, Darren24 and 2 others like this.
  17. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Guys I feel your pain when looking at coral prices especially since I worked in LFS'S but believe me there are numerous complications and hidden costs not to mention risks when importing yourself.

You can try I do t say don't, I just say research well

You'll be lucky if

A) you get what you ordered they often substitute to make the package viable to ship
    B) youll be lucky to get a person who ships economically and doesn't pack too much water (water is what costs)
    C) the stuff you ordered survives.
    D) your parcel doesn't get lost or delayed!

You really need to appreciate what the LFS'S do for is to get our fix.

Also make sure you are not looking at A grade corals when comparing to yesteryears pricing compare apples with apples

EFJ likes this.
  18. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

There is just so much more to it than expecting a cheap box of corals arriving from overseas. That's if you find a reputable supplier willing to ship you less than 10 boxes.

Ignoring customs, daff and cites complications. ...

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jul 2016
Recent Posts