Important question to me

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by wringo, 9 Jul 2009.

1. wringo

wringo

Hi :My frind Ask me The DSB will benefit a freshwater Tanks or brackish Tanks?
    I am not able to answer it.
    What is the yours opinion of that issu?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Doubt it as there are not as many good critters in FW compared to saltwater, might just become a detrius trap

4. Gawiedj

Gawiedj

Wringo I dont think a DSB will benefit a FW setup at all.
    As a rule the gravel layer in FW is not that deep because you do not want the substrate to go anaerobic. If memory serves when it happens it causes all kinds of problems in a FW setup.

I had heavily planted tanks that I ran sort of like Diana Walstad tanks. Some people claimed to run their tanks according to her methods without any filtration whatsoever!!! I never tried this but I am sure if you get the balance right it can be done.

Tell your friend to google Diana Walstad or better yet get her book, The ecology of the planted aquarium. Brilliant read for any FW enthusiast that wants to get the tank perfect.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2009
Recent Posts