Importance of WATER CHANGES

Discussion in 'Idol Marine' started by Idol Marine, 4 Dec 2014.

1. Idol Marine

Idol Marine

Not many reefers VALUE the importance of water changes.
    Though, they are not beneficial in lowering your nutrients (unless doing at least an 80% change), they aid in replacing vital trace elements like, gold (found in minute amounts).

If you are not able to measure all the trace elements in your system, how will you be sure your animals are getting the elements they need?
    If your alkalinity can drop suddenly, how do you know your trace elements are not at the correct balance?

Water changes also give a reefer a “buffer” when unforeseen events happen to your system.

We use the analogy of, rather have two airbags than one.

Water changes might seem like hard work and time consuming, but you need to ask yourself, “how much is life worth, do I love my fish, and do I want to keep my reef happy?”

BELOW IS AN EXAMPLE OF A WATER CHANGE STATION, identical in funtionality to the one we use at the shop.
    You connect your reverse osmosis setup to the tank, which has a shut off valve, add your salt of choice (we recommend Salinity, Aquamedic or Seachem Reef Salt), and allow to mix for a day.

The day of water change, just divert your water from the mixing station to your tank and your water change will be done. NO MORE BUCKETS!

Not only will you be removing detritus from your system, but “rejuvenating” it with new trace elements.

We recommend a 10% change every week, or at least a 25% change fortnightly.

water change pics.jpg

Monti likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mitchel

mitchel

don't you first have to pump out water from the DT then add the new water

4. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

No you just mop up the extra water that overflows from the tank

5. mitchel

mitchel

Lol my wife would kill me if I had to do that every water change

6. Idol Marine

Idol Marine Thread Starter

You will first need to drain water from your DT. Switch off all pumps, close off the sump. This way you can judge how much water you are taking out of your system. We use gravity for this method and THEN you use your pump from the water change station to fill your tank. You will only need one pipe for this whole operation, no extra pumps for the tank.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

also, depending from where you pull the old water out, also switch off your ATU.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

My system works a little bit different. Because I ALWAYS forget either to switch the return pump back on, or the ATU. Or got a heater getting dry.

My sump can handle extra 40L water. So I first add 40L to the system, while keeping everything running as normal. I switch nothing off. Then I drain 40L

Only one snag, I should keep in mind I just overfilled my sump, and not absentmindedly go and switch off the return pump. That would result is a nice flood. Luckily, this did not happened, yet.

Recent Posts