Image noise on Photos

Agreed. I bought myself a Spyder 3 screen calibrator some months ago, and it made a huge difference in how the photos look on-screen vs how they look when printed. Apart from needing to correct the colours, most screens are also set too bright, and this results in the printed photos being too dark as well as not having the correct colours. The calibrator sorted out both the colours and the brightness for me. I can bring mine with me the next time I visit JHB, and will gladly calibrate your monitor for you - let me know if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer, sounds good. Pm me when next you plan to be up here.

As I said, I'm not an expert with Lightroom, but from the little bit that I played with it I gathered that it only "imports" some data about each photo into it's database. Whatever changes you make to the photo is only recorded in the database as well, and one thus needs to save a "sidecar" file WITH the actual image if you want the changes to be visible once the image is opened in another viewer/editor program. Obviously, once a photo has been converted and saved in (say) jpeg format, the image will remain changed, but if one opens the (edited) RAW file in (say) Canon DPP or even in Photoshop without the additional sidecar file, the image loses all it's editing. I just prefer to load the physical image into a sub-folder of my choice with Adobe Bridge, and then to edit the RAW image using Camera Raw (part of the CS3/4/5 "suite" of programs). As I said earlier, I'm probably just old-fashioned with this... Lightroom apparently works great for most people :whistling:

I think i understand what you are trying to say but do not know CS5.

I download the RAW file to an external backup drive. I then import the raw file to LR and edit. the original remains untouched. The edit process is stored in LR so if you recall the PIC one can still get the original or any step of the edit process. So if one say darkens blacks in an edit and saves the jay peg. one can still go back to the step before the darken and add say blue to the background. Difficult to explain. Will show you what i mean when we get together.

Hennie

PM me. Might not answer this week as i leave for Sodwana in the morning and will be back on Monday.:thumbup:

Soooo, who have calibrated their screens????
I hooked up a 22" LCD screen onto my laptop, wow, it was like looking at two totally different computers, the difference in colour was huge. But to answer your question, no, I haven't calibrated anything apart from my refractometer. :p

Get yourself a Calibrator Dean, you will see a world of difference too wrt other pics posted- they are not that expensive

Hennie, meant to ask you. Have you got a LCD HD Screen??

Sean, LCD - yes, HD - no... I think...

I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 245T

I have recently upgraded my graphics card to one of those fancy gaming types, and THAT has made quite a difference in my photo editing - pics load much faster & show editing changes much quicker now than before :thumbup:

Hennie

Sean, LCD - yes, HD - no... I think...

I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 245T

I have recently upgraded my graphics card to one of those fancy gaming types, and THAT has made quite a difference in my photo editing - pics load much faster & show editing changes much quicker now than before :thumbup:

Hennie

Thanks Hennie, I also had the Samsung SyncMaster, but have since changed to the Acer 23inch HD LCD. Worth it.

Thanks Hennie, I also had the Samsung SyncMaster, but have since changed to the Acer 23inch HD LCD. Worth it.

Bought 2 brand new sync masters on the 23rd Dec 2011 and the evening of the 24th Dec 2011 someone decided they not suited for me to have and the bastard stole them including the new computers 4 o'clock in the morning, see why you have to lock doors and activate perimeter sensors and have cameras installed with maxidor safety on all the doors and windows on the 29th DEC 2011. Cause they did it twice now without security measures in place LOL. Just walked in and out like doing christmas shopping. :whistling:

Definitely had a dell but changed to LED full HD and what a difference This one in 23" LG E60 series LED backlight panels sets a new standard for monitors with excellent such as incomparably slim width, Mega Contrast Ratio that reproduces deeper and richer pictures. :whistling:

great free noise reduction software = noiseware community edition...

really really good easy to use and free

Thanks Sean! I bought an expensive compact digital and had it on ISO 400. It ruined ALL my overseas holiday pics but I only realised it when I got home and put them onto the computer. Now I know why!

Thanks Sean! I bought an expensive compact digital and had it on ISO 400. It ruined ALL my overseas holiday pics but I only realised it when I got home and put them onto the computer. Now I know why!
Pleasure is mine, sorry about the overseas pics :(

Download noiseware community edition...

Its really good and will rescue your holi pics...

Just saw this thread now, Thanks for the info SK

I'm currently using CS5, OMG what a POWERFUL program it is! Its amazing how it can fix any noise and chromatic aberration! AND I LOVE THE RAW INTERFACE!

Whats a good (cheap) monitor for picture, as I battle my butt off using my Laptop, slightest angle change affects the image!

Here a picture I took not so long ago. not bad for a 30 sec exp. ISO-100 f/5.6.

3924e301b367134a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom