Im wondering....

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Wetty, 1 Oct 2008.

1. Wetty

Wetty Rockford Fosgate Fish

Was at an established LFS yesterday...and I saw that some of their pre-cured liverock seems to be made out of sum kind of cement.....am I right or just being stupid?

Also if so....which materials do i use to make my own to be seeded or cured?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

i think it is cement and salt,but i'm not sure(you need to talk to brucemg about it, he made allot of it)

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Wetty - live rock is live rock. True live rock is calcium carbonate based, and is actually pieces of reef that have broken off, that is collected by the suppliers overseas.

What you have most likely seen, is what is commonly known as "bio-rock". And YES - you can indeed make your own. It just requires a lot of patience. Like everything else in this game.

The recipy, as far as I understand it:
    1 part WHITE cement, 1 part rough sea salt, and one part aragonite (bought aranonite). These are equal parts...

Mix all the dry ingredients. Then add either RO water or distilled water, that you get a dry'ish clay-like compound.... then shape your bio-rock pieces from this compound.

Hope this makes sense.... good luck!

5. Wetty

Wetty Thread Starter Rockford Fosgate Fish

Fanx. Ill try and track him down. lol

6. Wetty

I just need sum "bio-rock" for now untill I can afford the actual liverock....want the majority to be liverock....and less than half to be biorock i spose. :lol:

7. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Wetty: All your bio-rock will become "live" eventually, so if you can't afform much live rock its perfectly fine to buy good porous bio-rock and seed it with a little live rock.

I have seen many large aquariums that had literally 5% live rock with the rest as nice porous bio-rock

8. jacquesb

Matt - you right - many reefers will agree, many will say no. BUT, Ideally, I think personally that having 80% bio-rock and 20% actual very high quality live rock, is more than good enough.....

Wetty - as Matt said - bio-rock actually becomes quite decent "live rock" - they also supply some filtration - perhaps not AS good as live rock, but if you look at the cost of really decent live rock, then bio-rock is not such a bad idea.

BTW: PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE FRESH BIO-ROCK HAVE TO BE CURED IN RO WATER FOR AT LEAST 6 WEEKS - otherwise they increase the pH of your tank water FAR too much.....

9. Wetty

Concerning the raising of the PH levels......when I add the shrimp and Biorock together at the same time thus everything cycles and cures together saving time?

10. Wetty

11. jacquesb

Yes Wetty - this will work...... BUT - you should place one (even if only a small piece) of actual live rock in the tank as well...

12. Wetty

Iv got a small piece in a friends tank...she was nice enuff to get it for me as a gift. But wot im worried about is that its got a lil mushroom on it and I dont want it to die. :(

13. jacquesb

The mushroom is reasonably hardy...... I am quite sure your should be lucky enough for it to survive....

14. Wetty

Its still very small...and the water will be completely out of parameters

15. Amberjack69

Amberjack69

Wetty, there's also a live rock that's white and looks somewhat like cement from the Marcos Island, "Marco Rock". Very expensive. Prolly not what you talking about but I thought I'd throw that in.

16. Wetty

Interesting...always good to learn sumthing new

Recent Posts