i'm new

Reaction score
hi to all,

i'm starting up my first tank in a couple of days. build it myself. just waiting for all to set and dry nicely.

i'd like to know what the laws and rules are about 'catching' LR and C.U.C and bringing it up to gauteng?.

thanks

dallasg

Reaction score
masahello

good stuff, its the best to go DIY.

well u need to apply for a permit at the post office, then can only catch whats allowed.
for the LR i am not sure, but as far as i know u cant take the rock.

give us some specs and plans for your future setup

Reaction score
hello jelly james, welcome to masa:)

well done of getting going, now the learning really starts:)

how about telling us a little about the tanks, glass thickness and stand etc and let the guys who have built their own tanks on here check that the saftey factors are all in place....rather now than later:)

have you got a sump? hows that all configured?

have you got any experience in keeping marines tanks?

there is always so much to learn, and to be honest you have a few months before going to catch hermies, as you need to let that tank cycle out totally. We cant unfortuantly collect LR, and its a REALLY important part of your system, you would be better buying from a sponsor or second hand from our classified section:)

welcome to MASA, it really is a great site, ask all you want, the guys and girls on here will help all they can (even if they are across the world :))

martin

Reef Adict
Reaction score
Welcome - always nice to have another Pretoria Reefer onboard.

Reaction score
Hello

I am still waiting for official confirmation that Live rock is not allowed to be collected for hobby use, as all the permit documentation says nothing to the contrary.

Reaction score
Hello

I am still waiting for official confirmation that Live rock is not allowed to be collected for hobby use, as all the permit documentation says nothing to the contrary.

Hermits can be collected on a standard marine collector permit available from the post office.

Reaction score
Welcome to MASA!!

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA Jelly James, enjoy your stay with us. Please read as much as you can and don't be shy to ask. Read my signature at the bottom - good info there.
Please don't rush into anything, reefkeeping is all about patience and a new tank needs to cycle at least 4- 8 weeks with live rock in it only. After that you test the water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and if all is well, only then you introduce a CUC (snails and hermit crabs) - fish are not part of a CUC.

Happy reading :wave2: