im new, HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'New Members' started by albert, 3 Oct 2012.

1. albert

albert

Hallo all,I have jebo R338 tank, what do I need to do to make it a saltwater tank, with some coral, and fish? I am neew and don't know much, please help.what do I need to get to make it a saltwater tanks, like pumps, lights etc. Thank you

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:welcomewave: Have fun, research, then read and read some more, most all be patient. The answer to your questions can be varied, you need to determine what type of system you want, fish only, hard corals, soft corals. There is tons to read under the forums section, go through it, learn, be patient, and then if you still have any detailed questions, come back to your thread and ask away.:)
    In terms of your JEBO, how many litres of water does it hold, does it have a sump, you will need a skimmer and make sure you have enough circulation in the tank.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2012
  4. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Hey there @albert and massahello

I'm also fairly new to the hobby,,, but I would highly recommend going through the sticky's in the Beginner Discussions - Marine Aquariums South Africa ...

You'll learn a ton of things there, which will be a great starting point...

Goog luck and enjoy this great hobby!!! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. albert

albert Thread Starter

My jebo tank is a 35 litre tank, it has a power head giving a good flow, I want to start cycling the tank, and want to go get the stuff this weekend but do not know what for this tank. I want coral with 2 fishes. Thanks

6. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Hey @albert ,,,

You'll basically need:

A salt of choice
    Substrate of choice,,, aragonite comes highly recommended, but it's not a prerequisite, however the pebbles in fresh water tanks won't do if I'm not mistaken...
    Lighting , preferable actnic white and blue,,, 15000kelvin and 20000kelvin respectively.
    And a fair amount of live rock... I would say about 3 - 5 kg's or there about will do...
    And then your choice of supplements etc...

With this you'd be up and running... But,

Over and above that you would also need a refractometer to measure SG of your saltwater mixture...
    A skimmer, but given your tank size I would say that those hang on filters would be ok...

I would still stand with my point and say, rather don't rush into things and go all guns blazing,,, rather read as much as you can before starting up... This way you'll save yourself mega bucks...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

Ok....1st you remove all media from hood... Add a bag of chemi-pure elite and a small bag of carbon...let it ly as flat as possible and put flat filter pad ontop of media for mechanical filtration, take note,the filterpad goes between the media and the uplift spraybay in filter section.... Fill tank with saltwater halfway, add aragonite and ur scape(liverock) ,now fillup 2 max ...make sure heater is set to 25 degrees and turn system on.... Let it run a few hours till water temp is correct and water is clear,then add a vial of each Nano Prodibio Bioptim,biodigest and stop ammo....now leave to run for ± 4-6weeks for cycle to complete, take note that with the prodibio,cycle could complete way quicker so constantly check ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels till its undetectable, it will mean the end of your cycle and start of adding stock.verrrrry slowly :lol: ....ONLY BAD THINGS HAPEN QUICK IN MARINES....:p.... Now when it comes to lights, standard is fine for soft corals,ie leathers ,shrooms and zoas but may be too yellow for your liking and won't display colour in corals and fish...so u may open light cover and add 1-2 strips of 12v leds in blue only to give tank an icewhite marine look/feel .... If however you have an urge to go with some higher light needing corals, I suggest doing a complete upgrade to leds in hood, or simply make it an open top and add a night marine unit that works for the size of tank .... With all this said, marines is a bug and it bites very hard,so take into account that the jebo may be a start of many upgrading to bigger better systems, so @ first,try to keep tanks setup cost low

You also won't need a skimmer for this size tank, and best is to do 10% water changes weekly of same salinity,ph and temp...and top up with Ro(reverse osmosis) water wen levels in tank drops under full mark ......

Oh and lastly welcometomasa hope you enjoy the stay

8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

nice advice bollie

9. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

Thanks Ivan... I've been thru many diferent tanks to gain knowlege on how diferent systems works and the Jebo is 1 of them :lol:

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Albert! A very warm welcome to MASA! I agree with Bollie.... Be patient mate! Remember: "Nothing good happens fast in keeping marines"!

And KNOWLEDGE is one of the BIG secrets to being a successful marine aquarist!

11. ScottK

ScottK

masahello

Great advice given so far and should get you on the right track. Patience is your best friend.

It will be quite a few weeks before you can add livestock but reading through the below post will give you a good idea of what kind of livestock is suitable for your size of tank.

Nano Fish Listed By Tank Size - Marine Aquariums South Africa

12. Ayoob

Ayoob

13. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hi Albert, welcome, 1 lesson in marine you never stop learning. Look under forums, man so match info you head will spin. Enjoy.

Recent Posts