I'm new and need advice

Reaction score
I am wanting to setup a tank which I have allready. 920x320x600high. This tank has no overflow chamber but has 2 off 25mm holes on l.h.s. near top of tank. Can one create an overflow by connecting 2 seperate flexible pipes from both holes down into my sump (yet to have made up). Hestation for not having internal chamber is a space issue as well as appearance.

Hi Gemma.

welcometomasa

If you only have to 2 holes in the side, and you don't want to build an internal overflow box around them, then yes you could use flexible pipe just connected to the holes. You might want to put some sort of grid over the holes thought to prevent small inhabitants ending up in the sump.

Something Like this?

I think a small overflow will be your best bet you will get much better surface skimming with one
654756bf1258866.jpg

Hi, welcome to MASA, you could build a small overflow inside the tank say 150mm long x 100mm deep x 100mm high, but i would use hard pipe rather than flexible, bit more fiddly but safer from flooding i think.

Hi Gemma, welcome to MASA. I like you already, you have the same name as my daughter :)

Does your tank look like the pic Kanga has drawn ?

OH Yes a very warm welcome to MASA, SA's premier marine site:thumbup::thumbup:

Welcome! :) try and go for a overflow and durso standpipes to get rid of the gurgle Ha ha..

Do a little overflow like this, it wont take up too much space, it will give you the surface skimming you need and you can still use a durso to make it quiter (no flushing and water running sounds in your lounge saves 40 loo trips a day:lol:)

Gemmaoverflow.jpg

Hey, welcome Gemma, here we newbies learn from the experts how to keep your fish happy!!!!!:slayer:

welcometomasa Gemma. Nahhh look you ugly okes have chased her away :lol:

Something Like this?

I think a small overflow will be your best bet you will get much better surface skimming with one
654756bf1258866.jpg
Yes, except the holes are about 5cm apart and close to back of tank.

Yes,but holes are 5cm apart, and closer to the back of tank.
The internal overflow looks like a good idea. How does one determine at what height to install the vertical glass component of internal overflow in relation to my holes. Also what size return pump would I use from sump. Logically it can't be to powerful because I only have 2 off 25mm holes and one doesn't want display tank to overflow cause holes can't drain quick enough.

Last edited:
Try something like this above then. The height of the overflow in your cas would be about 5 mm below where you want your display waterlevel.

2 x 25 should be ok for your tank, I prefer bigger even if they will handle the volume there is less chance that anything could get trapped

That tank will hold about 170 liters and another say 100 in your sump, an 800 litre an hour pump should do you fine, and those overflows (although I like bigger) should be fine

Back
Top Bottom